Should the Fan be running

mark-hale

Posted · Should the Fan be running

Hi there

Just received my U2 and running some test prints. Currently struggling to print the test robot on the SD card. Problem seems to start at the hands, one thing I have noticed is that the fans either side of the print head are not working, kind of assumed that they only trigger at a certain temp point but just wondered if this is the reason why im having trouble when it comes to printing the less solid elements.

I have sent an email to support but appreciate they will now be closed but just wondered if there is another test that is worth running so I can give them more info.

So far three robots are failing at the same part.

I have reset to factory defaults and gone over the setup again but same result.

Thanks in advance

Oh for info, in terms of the build quality, packaging and general information supplied. Fantastic, very happy. :-P

EDIT - Just spotted the third Fan at the rear, this is running, its the two on the side that are not active.

Definitely fans should be working after the first layer is done. This is usually controlled in Cura although you might have a loose wire.

In Cura, go to "switch to full settings", then "advanced" tab and make sure "enable cooling fan" is checked. Also in expert settings make sure fan speed min and max is 100% and "fan on layer nubmer" should be 1.

If this is all true then something is wrong with your UM2. I would take the (larger) bottom cover off and trace the cable. It may have come loose in shipping.

Definitely fans should be working after the first layer is done. This is usually controlled in Cura although you might have a loose wire.

In Cura, go to "switch to full settings", then "advanced" tab and make sure "enable cooling fan" is checked. Also in expert settings make sure fan speed min and max is 100% and "fan on layer nubmer" should be 1.

If this is all true then something is wrong with your UM2. I would take the (larger) bottom cover off and trace the cable. It may have come loose in shipping.

Im running direct off the SD card so not running via Cura, but have checked the settings and the fan for PLA is set to 100%. Have just edited my post as spotted a third fan at the rear which is working

Hey Mark,

mine arrived also today.

The fan should work. At the beginning only the third is active, but after the first layer all 3 are active.

I also printed it from the sd card directly.

I having also some little probs at the hands and ears.

But for the first prints its ok ;)

Hey Mark,

mine arrived also today.

The fan should work. At the beginning only the third is active, but after the first layer all 3 are active.

I also printed it from the sd card directly.

I having also some little probs at the hands and ears.

But for the first prints its ok ;)

OK thanks for that, well have tried a number of different prints and only the third is active. Neither of the side fans seem to operate. Will hold off until taking a deeper look until I hear from Support, but thanks to you all for your help. Hopefully it will be a simple fix

The rear fan should be on whenever the heater is on. It is independently controlled from the 2 side fans. Seriously though - check the wires. Something probably just fell off in shipping. Look on the head first. But the bottom cover isn't a big deal to remove.

The rear fan should be on whenever the heater is on. It is independently controlled from the 2 side fans. Seriously though - check the wires. Something probably just fell off in shipping. Look on the head first. But the bottom cover isn't a big deal to remove.

Problem solved, loose wire near the head. Whilst pondering what I might be able to do at 12:30 AM - yep it is rather addictive LOL, I noticed a small black wire protruding from the mesh cable covering. I pulled back the covering and plugged it back into the block..

Hurrah - Happy me.

Thanks for all the advise folks

i ran into the same issue as mark i think - my fans (the 2 on the sides) are not running

this was my first print with the default settings, printed directly from sdcard

if the actual print finishes, i will take a look at the fan connections

transportation via DHL was a really rough ride for my UM2, it looked kinda messy when i openend the box, and i'm missing screws :(

That's pretty much exactly what I would expect with no fan.

By the way: fantastic bed leveling - that's picture perfect how the skirt should look around the um robot - not too thin - not too thick. You dialed it in within at least 1/2 thickness of sheet of paper. Maybe better.

May I ask you on how to proceed solving my fan-connection-problem?

1) Should I go for the connections on the head-side first?

1a)The heads home position is not very ideal for maintenance, what is the best way to position it, so i can access it a little better?

1b) Are there any caveats i should be aware of before "disassembling" the head?

1c) is the cable for the 2 side fans plugged or soldered directly at the heads end?

2) How do i remove the bottom cover (for accessing the board to check the plugs)? just unscrew some or all of the screws from the cover underneath the heated bed?

...so many questions and so eager printing through the weekend ;)

Uit, I don't know about the other questions (still waiting for my UM2) but for 1a you can just turn off the printer and move the head by hand.

However nancy, another UM2 user disassembled the head and posted a photo of it here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3037-ultimaker-2-printing-issue/?p=22333

I was going to say the same thing. Just cut the power completely (pull the plug on the back of the UM). And move the head by hand. Often, even with power on, the power to the servos that more the head are off. Typically after a minute or two of no usage the servos are turned off.

Another poster (mark hale in posting above) said the problem was in the print head so I would start there. You can also unscrew the 4 screws if you want but you might not have to.

As far as the bottom - yes - it's simple - just remove all the screws under there - on the larger panel. The smaller panel only houses the display. The larger cover is where the cables connect into. See if there is one that is loose. But don't plug it into anything if there are 2 places it can go - ask back on this list with a photo if something is wrong. I have a photo of the bottom of the UM somewhere... Here it is:

20130920_210529.jpg

Oh - and with power off feel free to spin the Z screw by hand to move the platform up or down as needed to get it out of the way (down most likely!).

Hi Guys

I have my 2 side fans working ok, never noticed the one at the back, i understand from this thread that it is independent from the side fans but i have just been watching my print fo half an hour now and it has not kicked in once. is this correct or should i be seeing it kick in ? the print has been going for 4 hours now...

is this correct or should i be seeing it kick in ?

The 3rd rear fan?

I haven't gotten my UM2 yet but I'm pretty sure it should *always* be on. I don't really know though - maybe there is

another thermocouple or something that tells it when to turn on or off.

I think if that fan never turns on you have a small danger of getting a plug/jam where the PLA melts/softens when it is higher up in the print head and then cools and causes a jam. It may suck but I doubt anything will get damaged but I really don't know.

Also maybe the 3rd fan only comes on when temps get over some temperature - maybe 250C is the point where the 3rd fan is needed (for ABS plastic for example).

Hi Gr5

Yeh the third fan, i have yet to see it move, i am just coming to the end of a 5 hour print so will have a look at the cables then.. i am running at 210C... when i have the temp up on the display it never goes above that temp really drops to 209C and peaks at 211C

Have done about 15 hours of print over the last 2 days and no issues with them so far....

Prehaps your right it only kicks in at temps higher than what i am using...

I was going to say the same thing. Just cut the power completely (pull the plug on the back of the UM). And move the head by hand. Often, even with power on, the power to the servos that more the head are off. Typically after a minute or two of no usage the servos are turned off.

Another poster (mark hale in posting above) said the problem was in the print head so I would start there. You can also unscrew the 4 screws if you want but you might not have to.

As far as the bottom - yes - it's simple - just remove all the screws under there - on the larger panel. The smaller panel only houses the display. The larger cover is where the cables connect into. See if there is one that is loose. But don't plug it into anything if there are 2 places it can go - ask back on this list with a photo if something is wrong. I have a photo of the bottom of the UM somewhere... Here it is:

Uit, I don't know about the other questions (still waiting for my UM2) but for 1a you can just turn off the printer and move the head by hand.

However nancy, another UM2 user disassembled the head and posted a photo of it here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3037-ultimaker-2-printing-issue/?p=22333

Thanks, nicolinux and gr5

i found the problem with my fans:

the ground cable on the plug (inside the mesh-cover) was loose.

Unfortunately i overlooked it the first time, so i also looked on the electronics board.

Fortunately i saw that the heater connections on the board was also very loose and was already waiting to fail. all of the cables are under a bit of tension, i would sleep a lot better if the cabling would have done with a little more reserve...

I also disassembled the head (in search for the connectors in the beginning), at first i was frightened to be able to assemble it back again, but it is really not that big kind of issue

printing quality now got a big jump forward with the fans ;)

Hi

Apologies for delay getting back, after I got the fans working I have been a little occupied, sleep is so over rated in my opinion :-P

Anyway looks like I had the same issue as UIT. have marked the problem on the following image. Oh does anyone know what the second connector is for, assume that is for a second when the second print head is added?

assume that is for a second when the second print head is added?

Yes. Pretty sure that's right. But the second head may never be added as dual printing is pretty ugly.