Change Layer Start and Stop Points on each Layer

sdprinter

Posted · Change Layer Start and Stop Points on each Layer

Hello, I need some help.

I am printing a cylinder that is 200mm OD X 127mm tall and a wall thickness of 8.4mm. I am printing this will polycarbonate on a Ultimaker 2+ extended with a .6 nozzle.  I am using 260 for nozzle temp, and 105 for the bed temp. I realize the bed temp is a little on the low size, but I worked that down to help avoid elephant foot problems. The print takes about 2.5 days. My problem is with the seam.

I've used the dimensions of the model and wall line count in Cura to print the cylinder as basically a very thick wall. I did this as this will be a functional part, with compression strength being the biggest concern. Also I'm trying to limit nozzle movements to avoid stringing problems as polycarbonate likes to ooze do to the high print temp. However the seam is basically a straight line up the side of the cylinder creating a weak point in the print. I've tried using the random z seam setting in Cura, however the increased travel motions are creating an issue as material oozes out of the nozzle and on to the print. Because of the long print time, material will really build up on the nozzle and cause a bunch of quality issues.  

My question is there another way in Cura to change the start point of the layers say ever 20 or 25 layers so there are little offsetting seams?

Or is going back to test printing and adjusting the nozzle temp so material oozing from the nozzle is less of an issue and using the random z seam setting my best option?  

Here are a couple pics to show what the layers look like with blue travel lines being the start stop points for the layer.  Also below are two pics of a 20mm tall test print I broke. I am 205lbs and set the print on the edge of a step, the seam inline with the edge to put as much stress on the seam as possible. It supported my weight, even with some light jumping. I took another 200lbs coworker standing on the unsupported part of the print while I weighed the part down to break it.  

1713796218_layer153.thumb.png.342f14788fbecf0d115a51e0fda316dc.png637593391_sightglasszoominlayer153.thumb.png.4f1457266e5a0029748947997de2205c.png

20mm tall test print break at seam

1786675684_SeamBreak.thumb.jpg.2a5e71d8df770808f2b736dfcaa43e4e.jpg

20mm test beak opposite side of seam.

1543892512_NonseamBreak.thumb.jpg.fad33c93bdb1e63a076e7a16a52f1e3c.jpg

Posted · Change Layer Start and Stop Points on each Layer

Hello!

As far as I know, you only have the choice between random, back and shortest z seam alignment.

Shortest produces the seam you can see and you also tried random. Back means the seam is always on the backside of the part and you can rotate the part to align the seam with your preferred edge. As you have a round part, this is useless for you.

So, the is nothing you can change as from my view.

But maybe you could manually add your wished for function into the gcode, but that is not my expertise. 

• Thanks 1