Ultimaker s5 Dimensional precision Adjustments? Refinments?

Belezeebub

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker s5 Dimensional precision Adjustments? Refinments?

I have made three attempts to print Reuleaux Triangle Bearing Gears (thing:2897010) all with Tough Ultimaker PLA the latest one at .06 all hopelessly fused.

20% Infill I turned off Fill Gaps between walls and it was the lease fused I was able to break it apart but without that setting even a bowl of Wheaties, can of Spinach, ten billion rems of gamma radiation and plyers can't move it (right side) I am running 4.2.1

Any suggestions? I was able to print the same thing first time on my MK3, do I need grab a .025 hotend?

I am using this to dial in the printer before I try "GYRO the DODO by Stijn ) I want one on my desk

IMG_20190829_184804.jpg

Edited by Belezeebub

Hello!

What are your line width settings? 0.4 or 0.35 (recommended)?

You can try to print with "print outer before inner walls", that way the small gaps will be more accurate, because the outer walls will not be "pushed aside" by the already standing inner ones.

Also, you can try to set a slightly positive horizontal expansion (+0.03 for example).

Another suggestion would be to reduce the flow by a small percentage.

I would try the outer before inner walls setting alone first.

Edited by Cymon

Posted · Ultimaker s5 Dimensional precision Adjustments? Refinments?

You can get much better dimensional accuracy, when you modify some settings.

• Equalize all speed and jerk settings, wall, infill, skin 30mm/sec, and wall, infill, skin jerks 30mm/sec
    • Line width 0.4
    • Horizontal Expansion to -0.03 for 0.15 layer height, 0.02 for 0.1 layer height or -0.04 for 0.2 layer height
    • Slicing Tolerance = Exclude

• Outer Before Inner Walls = checked

• Print as cool as possible to avoid over extrusion

The main point is to equalize and lower the speeds, and to set the default line width from 0.35 to 0.4

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
    On 8/30/2019 at 1:25 AM, Smithy said:

You can get much better dimensional accuracy, when you modify some settings.

• Equalize all speed and jerk settings, wall, infill, skin 30mm/sec, and wall, infill, skin jerks 30mm/sec
    • Line width 0.4
    • Horizontal Expansion to -0.03 for 0.15 layer height, 0.02 for 0.1 layer height or -0.04 for 0.2 layer height
    • Slicing Tolerance = Exclude

• Outer Before Inner Walls = checked

• Print as cool as possible to avoid over extrusion

The main point is to equalize and lower the speeds, and to set the default line width from 0.35 to 0.4

Still having issues with items being fuzzed together, I did have a question about Slicing Tolerance= Exclude the only settings I have are exclusive, middle and inclusive, also you suggested a - Horizontal expansion but Cymon suggested a positive one?

I have my Infil skin wall and jerk at 30 or lower, I am using -.04 for my expansion and I dropped the extruder 5c I changed the first layer to 100 not 1.05

my line width is has been tried at .35 and .4 

Printing at .15

20% infill

Pattern Triangles

Zhop enabled

speed 30

No Support

No Adhesion

I tried to print Kobayashi Fidget Cube - Fat Hinge in dual color it is hopelessly fused together.

I tried to print Fidget cube High Quality hinge by Wultz again fused like Hydrogen in the SUN

I am going to drop in my .25 and try again

Never Mind I am an Id10T I only applied the settings to one nozzle I am trying it again

Edited by Belezeebub
    I am an ID10t

7 minutes ago, Belezeebub said:

Still having issues with items being fuzzed together, I did have a question about Slicing Tolerance= Exclude the only settings I have are exclusive, middle and inclusive

My mistake, I meant exclusive.

8 minutes ago, Belezeebub said:

you suggested a - Horizontal expansion but Cymon suggested a positive one?

If the object is fused together, then a positive expansion makes it more worse. 

Negative expansion = shrink the whole model = clearances gets wider

Positive expansion = expand everything = clearances gets smaller

10 minutes ago, Belezeebub said:

I tried to print Kobayashi Fidget Cube - Fat Hinge in dual color it is hopelessly fused together.

The model works, I printed the same some months ago on an UM3.

I cannot see something wrong with your settings. I don't use z hop, but I don't think this is the reason.

Do you use a quality filament? Some cheap ones have a non consistent diameter and could cause such issues.

Here my settings for the S5 when I want to print such things:

143966447_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-02um15_12_16.thumb.png.cd2fbcf415152cb820f4d5ffe663b6f9.png

1229609715_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-02um15_13_57.thumb.png.c1e77680a43b18003c1b95e47dfe9a6c.png

1640126888_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-02um15_14_09.thumb.png.e6fb48dd484d2c4fe3479295aa14bc46.png

I only use UM filament I think you are running a different version of cura a few of those settings I don't see on 4.3.0 but I am running in expert and looking for them.

I am running 4.3.0 but some settings are hidden. Just use the search field to make them visible.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

I am running 4.3.0 but some settings are hidden. Just use the search field to make them visible.

Any Chance you would be willing to export your profile and post it so I can take a look 

11 hours ago, Belezeebub said:

Any Chance you would be willing to export your profile and post it so I can take a look

No problem, here we go....

EngineeringProfile_S5.curaprofile

ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Tried printing at .15 and .2

20% infill

Pattern Triangles

Zhop enabled

speed 30

No Support

No Adhesion

Infil skin wall and jerk at 30 or lower, I am using -.

-.04, and-.05 for my expansion  

I dropped the extruder 5c

I changed the first layer to 100 not 1.05

Line width is has been tried at .35 and .4

Tried, all three of my .4 nozzles

Tried my .25 nozzle

Imported Smithy’s profile and tried his

I only use PLA and Tough PLA and Only Ultimaker branded

I used an Exacto knife and thin metal blades to reach between the petals and cubes all I did was cut my fingers

All plus ten more fused 

DSC_0008.JPG

Edited by Belezeebub

Hej Belezeebub. 

When I read you last post i'm not sure if i'm reading it positive or negative. so just to clarify, did changes in settings help or du you still have the accuracy problem?

I am running Negative and the adjustments helped slightly within margin of error if you ask me because the last ten items I tried to print are all fused

Hmm strange.....I am nearly out of ideas.....

You could try Cura 4.4 Beta or wait a few days for the release, there are new profiles and also some for dimensional accuracy. 

I'm also getting this kind of result with my S5. The only setting I would change is the horizontal expansion. Set it to -0,20mm.

It's a shame that $6,000 printer is being beaten by a $800 MK3 on print precision.