Cura running super slow on a really good computer

Nerfstrike

Posted · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

We've created a plugin that can collect performance data. Since Cura behaves differently on different hardware, it would help us find out what is going wrong if you can collect this data and send it to us.

You can find it here: https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/UltimakerPackages/ExtensiveSupportLogging

• 2 months later...

The problem still persists. Disabling the networking plugin helped a lot to alleviate the slow dropdowns / popups.

A little feedback for the team: While I understand being protective of your code/developers, the reaction in this thread is overly defensive. Blaming your users is never a good idea. 

Blaming the users? Where did anyone do that? I merely asked if you could run the extensive logging plugin, since we can't reproduce the issue.

So please try to run the extensive logging plugin as it should give us the information that we need to fix it (or at the very least give us more info as to what is going on).

Firstly I don't work for Ultimaker.

Tens of thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of people have Cura and it works just fine.  So we need to know more. 

I can tell you that past "slowness" problems have been related to things like USB devices (try unplugging them all?) that look like they *might* be a printer but aren't, devices out on the network (try disconnecting the network temporarily just to gather data), and firewalls.

Posted (edited) · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

This software is a nightmare.  We are talking a good 5-6 minutes from opening the program to trying to load a tiny stl.  I have gig fiber internet, all new 10g network switches and security appliances, and it runs like this on both my desktops and two laptops.  

I should also note that Cura is pulling a steady 4-6Mbps on my wireless card (has been doing this for at least 10 minutes - what the hell is it doing?  Guess it's time for wireshark - I don't have time for all of this, would like a program that isn't so buggy if possible 😞

image.png.8a883edbfc22c2225ae5293f09359d28.png

image.thumb.png.d7732ec9ee4199feb0578eaaea8b3f61.png

Edited by jrumj206

3 hours ago, jrumj206 said:

I should also note that Cura is pulling a steady 4-6Mbps on my wireless card

It should not be doing that.

3 hours ago, jrumj206 said:

Guess it's time for wireshark

That would actually be very helpful.

The problem is that we cannot reproduce this issue. So we don't know "what the hell it is doing". And when we don't know what it is doing, we cannot stop it from doing it.

• Like 1

I am still having the issue with Cura being unusably slow, I have collected the logs and attached them to this message. Any insight?

remote-support_22-03-10-12_39_33.zip

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.  This is the easiest solution.  Not sure what the problem is exactly, but it definitely has to do with Cura "looking" for/to any networked drives you might have... some Adobe products have that same problem, and this is the only/same solution, because these companies own their own markets, and it's disgusting. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hobby_grade said:

I am still having the issue with Cura being unusably slow, I have collected the logs and attached them to this message. Any insight?

remote-support_22-03-10-12_39_33.zip 1.4 MB · 0 downloads

The performance data isn't in there, so this won't help us, sorry. Please run it by first enabling it, then letting it run for a while and then storing the data. Starting the profiler will make cura a lot slower though (which is also why it's not enabled by default!)

• Thanks 1

To summarize some of the information above, if cura is running really slow, try

1) disconnecting your computer from all networks - it may be looking for printers or it may be looking for removable drives.  Obviously this isn't a permanent solution.  But it can lend hints as to the underlying problem.

2) Try disconnecting all USB devices except maybe (maybe!) mouse or keyboard.  it may be looking for USB connected printers.

3) Try running in administrator mode.  It may see a device but not be able to allocate it due to security

4) Try disabling all firewalls and similar security software (it may be locking out certain files that Cura needs)

5) Try posting the log file on the forum.

Cura runs just fine for over a million users every day.

@gr5 👍

Maybe add:

6) open task manager + resource manager and check what happen on your system

Beside of Cura internal resource management there is a huge possibility that Windows itself is part of the problem. Namely look for Defender activities and running update tasks.

Cura runs just fine for something like a 100,000 active users.  Maybe a million?

Uh,  this predication can quickly lead to spurious relationships (2*0 = 1*0 --> 2 = 1 ) 🙂

There is a much simpler thing you can do to help us; Just use the plugin in the way that it's intended.

Please help us to help you! This is one of the more frustrating issues (because everyone, us included, hates slow software) and because we can't reproduce it. Providing us the data won't guarantee that we can fix it, but it does significantly increases the chances of us being able to.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, nallath said:

The performance data isn't in there, so this won't help us, sorry. Please run it by first enabling it, then letting it run for a while and then storing the data. Starting the profiler will make cura a lot slower though (which is also why it's not enabled by default!)

I apologize, I did not understand how to use the plugin correctly, thanks for letting me know how to. I have attached new logs! I ran it for a few minutes, let me know if I should run it for a few hours instead. 

remote-support_22-03-14-11_19_47.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobby_grade said:

I apologize, I did not understand how to use the plugin correctly, thanks for letting me know how to. I have attached new logs! I ran it for a few minutes, let me know if I should run it for a few hours instead. 

remote-support_22-03-14-11_19_47.zip 4.73 MB · 0 downloads

I have some good news, at least one of the things that i'm seeing in the profile data is something that I also saw in the data  other people provided me. A fix was already merged a few days after we launched 4.13, so it is in the 5.0 release

If you could also make a longer one, It might show some things that aren't visible now! Thanks!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nallath said:

I have some good news, at least one of the things that i'm seeing in the profile data is something that I also saw in the data  other people provided me. A fix was already merged a few days after we launched 4.13, so it is in the 5.0 release

If you could also make a longer one, It might show some things that aren't visible now! Thanks!

Thank you for your help and fast response, I made one that's longer and I have attached it here. Based on your findings, are there any remedies for the meantime? or do I simply need to wait until v5 is released?

remote-support_22-03-14-15_00_49.zip

14 hours ago, hobby_grade said:

Based on your findings, are there any remedies for the meantime?

remote-support_22-03-14-15_00_49.zip 6.29 MB · 0 downloads

Nope, sorry. I'm also not entirely sure if my fixes even resolve it in the first place. I expect them to improve, but I simply can't guarantee it (or there might be new behavior that was hidden before now another issue is fixed...)

Anyhow, I have added some extra code that should also help finding what is the issue if it wasn't fixed by the other changes. So for now we will just have to wait for the 5.0 release and see what the status is then.

Edited by nallath
    • Thanks 1

I recently started to see my Cura v4.13.1 responding slowly to menu selects, and the app was using up to 30% of the processing power. 

Long story short, the problem was with a 3rd party plugin called:

Sidebar GUI v4.2.2 by fieldOfView

Simply, disabe or uninstall it from the Marketplace (button top right of the Cura display, select the tab named Installed and deselect the check box or click Uninstall)

If you have an ultimaker account and restore any of your previous backups, its likely that it will re-enable/install this plugin, so if you do this remember to go back and disable/uninstall it and create a new backup.

In addition, if you do uninstall it and have account syncing enabled, you'll get a prompt each time you open Cura to sync and re-install it. To stop this prompt each time, select Sync and on next screen there is a decline and uninstall from my account option.

..and from one Sidebar to another...😗

I've noticed ppl getting upset about this on previous posts, and it happens on other community forums too - "just a polite request from me to the world - this is just a 1st world problem - lets show some love and kindness to each other, because god knows there's far too much hatred already in this world"

"peace & love"

Edited by Waynepro
    • Thanks 1

Oh that’s one I use and could explain the slowness

I’d say drop him a message but he is extraordinarily slow to respond. I’ve been waiting for months (close to a year) for a reply from him. (Both email or forum PM)

A program called Microsoft Power Toys really slows down my Cura. I have to close it for it to return to normal, but it's also mainly because I use SidebarGUI which Power Toys seems to have a problem with the most. You should always check the plugins first

• Like 1

Hi,

my cura versions where really really slow and Google doesn't seem to help.

Long story short:

my laptop was using the inbuild graphiccard of my laptop for Cura!

After switching the Nvidia 3D-settings to the right Card it works a lot faster.

Sorry, if this is too obvious or already known

Good printing everyone!

I don't know, if my Computer is really good, but since Cura 5.x everything I do has a delay for so many seconds.

As up to 4.x everything worked fine, I deleted all of the older versions incl. data, cleaned registry and did much more.

But everything keeps still the same. Moving or clicking feels like remote controlling a robot on the moon, what I never did before.

To get some kind of workflow I decided to fall back to version 4.

Is there an idea, what the problem may be and will it be fixed in one of the following versions?

Or do I have to drop Cura until I will try another Operatin System?

Run as Administrator works great then

On 4/16/2022 at 9:59 PM, Waynepro said:

Long story short, the problem was with a 3rd party plugin called:

Sidebar GUI v4.2.2 by fieldOfView

There is a - somewhat elusive - issue with that plugin that is possibly related to Powertoys FancyZone.

See fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin#29 for more information.

There's a good chance that this isn't the only issue at play here. Not everybody who is experiencing the problem has that plugin installed. And - fortunately - not everybody who has the plugin installed is experiencing the problem. It could be that the QML trickery that the plugin is doing simply exacerbates an underlying issue that is present in Cura itself or the lower level GUI framework that it uses (Qt).

• Heart 1

Dear friends, just open Nvidia control panel and add Cura in the per-application settings, then assign it your powerful GPU instead of built-in one. Instant no lag experience.

Edited by Einxeld
    • Like 1