rhoogenboom

Dimensional accuracy,.. but only in the Y direction

Posted (edited) · Dimensional accuracy,.. but only in the Y direction

Hi,

I'm wondering if other people have some experience with this. I have an UM3 extended and print 99.9% of my things sliced by Cura (4.2.1 at the moment)

I do some CAD drawing and pretty much always, my printed parts never fit. Despite my putting some margins in the drawings, I usually end up doing print-try-adjust-drawing and start all over again. Since for me this is all hobby and I have by no means any knowledge or experience how you should take fitting tolerences into account, I figured it is the best I can do.

But recently it just annoyed the heck out of me, because I had to adjust and reprint so many times, that it just didn't make sense anymore. So I had look on the forum on dimensional accuracy and calibration and I printed the 20x20x10 calibration cube.

Now reading the posts here, I only seem to find people that have a consistent X and Y calibration error. I have a different problem: my Y size is off, my Y size is pretty much spot on. 

So my test cubes (just a few of them but they seem pretty consistent):
1 - X(20.01) Y(20.18) 

2 - X(20.00) Y(20.21)

3 - X (19.94)  Y (20.06) - I played with horizontal expansion on this one, however that also impacts my X size too and decreases that too much.

So how do you calibrate only the Y? I need X horizontal expansion and a separate Y horizontal expansion,.. Or is there another trick?

I also did a print at the advice low 30mm/sec print speed, I measure in the middle, not the elephant foot first layer. It's a PLA print, this filament might be more susceptible to shrinkage, as the bottom and top layers seem to come out a bit, but with the current infill pattern and print form (equally sized cube), such shrinkage should be the same in both directions. 

One thing which might be the cause: I had this with my previous UM3 also: one of the slider bearings in the head is probably worn out. Now with my previous, I could really hear the head click when I would change direction. If I feel the head of my UM3 ext now, it does have a very very little bit of play. Meaning I can move the tip of my nozzle sightly from forward to backwards make the whole head move ever so slightly on the axle.

I have ordered a new set of bearings, so when they are mounted next week, it should exclude that as a cause. 

Any ideas or pointers are welcome.

Cheers,

Richard

9565768E-E4ED-4EBC-B77B-50EB93B8E103.jpeg

Edited by rhoogenboom
Added attachment picture