We have big news...

SandervG

Posted · We have big news...
3 minutes ago, gr5 said:

@orionz06 - keep in mind that when new products are announced they don't necessarily ship within a few months.  I think when the S5 came out it didn't ship until about 6 months later - but I could be wrong.  I think the *announcement* can be months before the *release*.  So I'm not sure you want to delay any purchases.

Maybe call your reseller and ask them for advice.  They might know what's coming.  They won't tell you but they can tell you if you should wait or not.

For sure.  But if it's something new that's worthwhile the S5 better be cheaper.  At the same time, if it's 6 months away, Ima be cranky.  I get how this stuff works, but I'm not gonna play the games either.  The market is moving too fast to wait that long.  

I don't think the UM3 dropped in price when the S5 came out.  Maybe the UM2 did.  Things tend to move slower than you are used to with Ultimaker - they want to get things perfect.  And they don't want to come out with a new printer and have everyone want to return the old one (actually they often let you return a printer that you bought within a month of the announcement - don't know if they will do that this time though).

So think of this announcement as likely at least a month before they are for sale.  Apple just announced the iphone11 but I don't think it will be available for quite a while.  Okay I checked and Apple ships a few weeks from now.  But VW just announced the ID.3 car and that I think will indeed be many months before it ships.

Anyway, you should really talk to your reseller.  They will know things like this. 

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

@orionz06 - keep in mind that when new products are announced they don't necessarily ship within a few months.  I think when the S5 came out it didn't ship until about 6 months later - but I could be wrong.  I think the *announcement* can be months before the *release*.  So I'm not sure you want to delay any purchases.

Maybe call your reseller and ask them for advice.  They might know what's coming.  They won't tell you but they can tell you if you should wait or not.

I am not entirely sure if that is true. We actually usually aim to have the products available right after launch. Obviously, with high demand there can be a lead time but they should be available already.

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

I am not entirely sure if that is true. We actually usually aim to have the products available right after launch. Obviously, with high demand there can be a lead time but they should be available already.

Availability might also depend on individual locations. Places further away from production might see a delay in availability and some places might be geographically close but behind a certain length in the logistic chain. E.g. in Europe, UM products first are delivered to distributors and from there to resellers. Countries outside the European Union usually also see a delay due to customs.

7 hours ago, gr5 said:

when the S5 came out it didn't ship until about 6 months later

It was definitively shorter. The S5 was announced in April 18 and officially launched in May. First printers were shipped to end users in the second half of June iirc.

3 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

It was definitively shorter. The S5 was announced in April 18 and officially launched in May. First printers were shipped to end users in the second half of June iirc.

Corrected my post, thanks.

Great, my company just placed an order for the S5. I don't even think it's been shipped yet. SMH

Posted (edited) · We have big news...

2 Bowden tubes plus Ultimakers access to large catalogues of exotic materials for FFD printers makes this very unlikely to be SLA me thinks. However an ultra easy to use super reliable affordable midsized advanced and efficient SLA printer from Ultimaker would also be very welcome!

...sorry was reading the bottom of page 1! duh!

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 1

Rather than an SLA printer, I would prefer that UM stay on the FDM market focus since it would involve basically restarting from scratch in the short run and take away resources from making sure the current/upcoming printers have the best profiles for dimensional accuracy.

Basically, 'we have really good printers-let us make sure they deliver.

On the flip side, I am very interested in seeing this new thing.

• Like 1

True. I guess im curious as to the potential improvements. Its exciting. Obviously fully enclosed. But most curious about the continous printing thing. How continously. Like possibly refferring (spelt wrong) to the fact it can splice and re splice filament on the fly hence creating 'continous filament for printing ( which would be nice! Even as a seperate tool mind you) or somehow a mechanism for releasing the print after its completed enabling you to continously printing more. Or both? Hmm

Or a build plate prepper that wipes across the plate and preps it with some kind of layer which later releases.. lol. Ok ill stop.

Edited by cloakfiend

It's sold with a robot assistant that handles changing filament and cleaning the plate after a print for you, then starts the new print. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brulti said:

It's sold with a robot assistant that handles changing filament and cleaning the plate after a print for you, then starts the new print. 😉

😂

3 hours ago, Brulti said:

It's true. We call him Bob.

• Like 2

Has Bob a beard ? 🤣

3 hours ago, ctbeke said:

It's true. We call him Bob.

🤣🤣

These two guys popped into mind when I read that. I know...I know...I am old. This is a better pic. B.O.B is the one on the right....

98d1c6b17622e6e7d5f913e9886ca0c3.jpg

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 4

On 9/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, SandervG said:

"Continuous, hassle-free 3D printing, like never before! "

As you may have seen a new image appeared on our homepage this morning, exciting news! On September 24th we'll announce what big news we have been working on for you. Keep an eye our for more updates and feel free to speculate below! 

From the video filename on the Registration page, it looks like this news could involve the existing S5 model and a new product, the Ultimaker S3:

http://images.3d.ultimaker.com/Web/UltimakerBV/{c7db3d3b-bb17-430d-8a81-e3b5fb9e635e}_S3_S5_Teaser_(1).mp4

Obviously no details other than a name and a silhouette, but could this be a smaller cousin of the S5? We'll soon see...

• Like 3

I'm excited to find out. The silhouette at the start shows two bowdens but only 1 wire sleeve so while I would hope for something along the lines of the mark2 or better yet, 2 separate heads that can be used in parallel the splicing idea sounds more likely. I do think there are two different machines being released and one of them is either sla or multi spools. Just guessing. 🤔

Pretty sure it's "just" an enclosed/cabinet for the s5.

At the end of the video clip (0:10-0:11) there's a lighting difference in the side panel. Showing it is two halves, and placement fits with the feet of the s5, so some type of add on.

0005.thumb.png.852a0c1067fe68b20ffcfb4dcff8318b.png

http://images.3d.ultimaker.com/Web/UltimakerBV/{c7db3d3b-bb17-430d-8a81-e3b5fb9e635e}_S3_S5_Teaser_(1).mp4

Looks to me to be FDM printer which is designed for non stop printing of parts for use in production (as opposed to prototyping). The problem for doing something like this is that you want to be able to automate as much as possible. But trying to do that with Ultimaker's existing printers runs into the issue of parts removal. Competitors like Formlabs has an excellent large build platform removal clamp. Thanks to that, Formlab's automation solution, the Form Cell, was easily able to work with their existing printers. Unfortunately the Ultimaker S5 and Ultimaker 3 aren't able to copy such a set up as the glass build platform is held in place with flimsy metal clamps. This is a real pain point as if you really want to get the most out of your equipment investment you need it working non stop. Having a complicated part which may be a 12 hour print finish in the middle of the night is not ideal, as you're not going to have anyone around to remove the part and set the printer to print again. But if you have automated part removal such that the printer can start printing the next one then you're getting a lot more utility out of that piece of equipment. 

In addition to that it looks like you have a full enclosure and maybe a built in filament dry box.

To my eye, the video shows a standard S5 printer in the first half, then a s5 ontop some kind of base/tank in the 2nd half.... so its unlikley to be a resin printer. 

the 2nd image also shows an enclosure on the top, so i deduce that this must be a necessary add-on for what is coming?

On 9/10/2019 at 4:07 PM, tinkergnome said:

There we have it! A ride-on lawnmower with RGB lights - makes sense! (and it don't even needs a lawn to look good)

And let's hope that there's an option to switch the lights off at night... this time... 😝

Just curious but my s5 frame lights are off now for a while now, in the settings. I got my wish!! Yay! So I'm sure they'll be switch off able. Had a lot of burglars about lately so thats a welcome upgrade!?

I reckon that is a dry box and lid, or else room for a mega wide spool. But seeing as no one makes mega wide spools I doubt it lol. And the spool joiners/plate rotator? I may be thinking too crazy though!

Edited by cloakfiend

Come on, let us know what it is!!!

I have a 3 and a S5, and i could add another machine. Thinking about a Formlabs 3... unless Ultimaker has some exceptional thing to come 😉

Defo looks like a encloser on top of a S5, what if not to much cost next to other makes, i'll likely get. What is under the S5 mind you as got me wanting to find out.

I am patiently waiting !!!  

Well heres a quick composite i did. look similar to the S5 but a slimmer frame. Head looks different. more square. only hours to wait though. Im doing a cool print at the moment so i can wait!

The build plate looks identical. Even the rods are the same distance apart....maybe lol. Touch display looks smaller though.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 06.50.41.png

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 2

Very cool. Looks like the name "S3" as hinted in the video filename is looking more likely.