We have big news...

SandervG

Posted · We have big news...

It could possibly be called the S3, I guess it would make sense in creating an 'S' line. Bringing a smaller version of the S5 to consumers and refreshing the line. I'm more curious about the continuous part of the statement however, and the head and feeder mechanisms.... they made a better job of crushing the blacks in this video than that of the S5 though so couldn't mess much with the colour levels.

Posted (edited) · We have big news...

But that robot didn't move 😉

I really like not knowing for some reason. Am always curious if people think of improving or changing the things that I feel could be improved? Hell sometimes im not sure what can be improved. I wish I was an engineer sometimes. Meanwhile I've been delving into metal works and acetone application. lol. 

I thought about the continous part a bit more and think that you are still gonna have to remove the plate but it will simply carry on afterwards when you pop it back on. The automation on the S5 works real great so its all my brain can come up with whilst drawing a cheesy Cathulhu model. and I've had no real concerns apart from the main screw getting dust on it and requiring regular cleaning to avoid print lines above a certain height. The S5 just works so this is gonna be even better? can't wait!

2.5 more hours to go!

I reckon that perhaps they have developed a plate that removes your models VERY easily. Would save me time chipping away at the borders of troublesome models for sure!

Also completely overlooked the massive cylinder thing in the middle? no clue there im afraid!

Edited by cloakfiend

31 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

its the 24th now. Still nothing. 🤔

Their announcement is probably USA time...?

still nothing....4am UK time. 

Im guessing they'll do it midday? I can't imagine US time as Ultimaker is not a US company.

Shame would have had something interesting to read..... o well back to sculpting...

Now I'm thinking about the hassle free part.....

So, hassle free printing. meaning?..... where is the hassle? I have zero hassle with the S5. The real hassle is post production! So hassle may mean easy plate removal, as thats hassle. Changing filament is also hassle but not much (only if you do it via the menus!) and its not really hassle just takes a while. 

Hmmmmm....

Edited by cloakfiend

7am.... still no cigar.😢

So you see, 24 september is not specified enough!!

Waiting waiting waiting....

You might wanna take a peak at the ultimaker.com homepage 😉

• Like 3

Do the lid minimize some of the sound or it is only for particles?

Ah! i was almost right about the spool at the bottom. Just rather than one there are many. Very curious how this works with spool tension breaking filaments and stuff midway. We'll see.

So... no robots switching plates then. Bummer. So you can now print massive stuff without worrying if you are going to run out! No worrys for tangles and such. Just goes to next spool.

Be nice to see a video of the filament station in action and how it works. If the enclosure is not to costly, I’ll be getting that as I been after one.

This is the UK price, keep in mine vats got to be added also.

064E4C10-1923-46C6-B8BA-4475856A39EF.thumb.png.a51aec117d041d0ca4fba6ed3fb62c06.png

415E0100-EC69-4413-97BF-CE725C09558A.thumb.png.6d42208b822d7fbd650b7d39817c3e7d.png

2 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

Ah! i was almost right about the spool at the bottom. Just rather than one there are many. Very curious how this works with spool tension breaking filaments and stuff midway. We'll see.

So... no robots switching plates then. Bummer. So you can now print massive stuff without worrying if you are going to run out! No worrys for tangles and such. Just goes to next spool.

A lot of engineering hours went into the tension breaking midway.

3 hours ago, NBull said:

Do the lid minimize some of the sound or it is only for particles?

It will probably do something for the sound, but there is also an active fan on the lid (both to ensure pressure difference so the particles get filterd and to control the temperature inside the printer), which adds sound again. I can't say for sure if the total package is more / less noisy.

• Like 2

yikes it looks like $10K US.  I think am going to get the 5S for now, and save for the top enclosure in the future.

So is the S3 just a smaller S5?  

I am really looking for something with a bigger build volume to the small printer I have. I wonder if the two new attachments would work on the S3

I would be curious to see what the spool bay dimensions are and if 3rd party spools will fit nicely. I guess, basically, spool width capability.

18 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I would be curious to see what the spool bay dimensions are and if 3rd party spools will fit nicely. I guess, basically, spool width capability.

Looking at the promo video they seem to have a good bit of space each side of them so most 1kg spools you would hope will fit, would be a big oversight if only Ultimakers fitted.

4 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

Looking at the promo video they seem to have a good bit of space each side of them so most 1kg spools you would hope will fit...........

Hope so :)

36 minutes ago, BiMNrd said:

I am really looking for something with a bigger build volume to the small printer I have. I wonder if the two new attachments would work on the S3

If you mean the AirManager and the MaterialStation, then no, they are only for the S5.

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

You'll find the compatible spool dimensions under the 'operation parameters' tab of the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle page.

Width: 50 - 70 mm (2 - 2.7 in) 

Diameter: 197 - 203 mm  (7.8 - 8 in) 

Core diameter: > 98 mm (3.8 in)

• Like 1

Saw the video and it looks interesting, hoping for a longer more detailed video that goes into the components.  Is it stock with a ruby nozzle?  What drivers are used now?  Overall I'm impressed and while I am in the field of extremely large 3D printers now, I am very fond of out of the box complete solutions for users/prosumers/business 

31 minutes ago, LePaul said:

Is it stock with a ruby nozzle?

No, you have to buy the CC Red core for the ruby nozzle.

• Like 1

The Ultimaker S3 seems... Meh? It comes across as a minor refresh three years after the original that happens to be $900 USD more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ultimaker 3, but when there's a big price jump I do expect a bit more than what comes across as a minor refresh.

If it were around the same price as a UM3 I'd be a whole lot more excited.

Edited by Xalara