We have big news...

SandervG

Posted · We have big news...
50 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Bob,

I use my S5 now about a year, and learned to live with the critical moisture sensitive materials without the material changer.

First, the S series have filament sensors, secondly Cura is a very good slicer (I was addicited to Simplify, but that simply does not work with S series, you lose all the benefits), which gives you the exact length of filament needed.

So what i do mostly, open the bag with moisture critic filament (PVA / Nylon ...), cut the needed length + 1mtr (for the tubing), and feed that into the printer.  Easy peasy, no need for this expensive adon. (although it has its advantages)

Im ordering my S5 and while I want the material handler, it is not in my future at the moment. However, can you tell me how you measure you PVA? Doe cura tell you thing accurately?

Thanks

Just now, BiMNrd said:

Im ordering my S5 and while I want the material handler, it is not in my future at the moment. However, can you tell me how you measure you PVA? Doe cura tell you thing accurately?

Thanks

Easy, i just unroll the amount Cura tells me to use, plus an extra Mtr that goes into the bowden tube. And if you miss, the printer detects your out of filament so the print isn't ruined.

• Thanks 1

The amount of used material is much more reliable than the amount of time a print takes. Cura knows exactly how far it has extruded the filament for a print; the only variable is the extruder skipping steps or slipping (which would be noticeable in the print). The time is dependent on phyiscal attributes such as how long it takes to heat/cool extruders, which Cura cannot predict exactly.

Posted (edited) · We have big news...

Well I just ordered my first ultimaker + hood.

Did not order the material handler for now. 

I am really excited!! 

Looking forward to learn more about using other materials. 

@SandervG

Edited by BiMNrd
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, RudydG said:

Easy, i just unroll the amount Cura tells me to use, plus an extra Mtr that goes into the bowden tube. And if you miss, the printer detects your out of filament so the print isn't ruined.

I thought you had some rig to measure what you pull.. do you?

54 minutes ago, BiMNrd said:

I thought you had some rig to measure what you pull.. do you?

Pull, i know between my hip and hand is 1mtr. for extensive lengths, + 10mtr, i use my Polymaker drybox.

2 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Pull, i know between my hip and hand is 1mtr. for extensive lengths, + 10mtr, i use my Polymaker drybox.

oh wow cool !

does the polymaker fillament work in the S5? 

guys, Would installing CURA and going to the "store" be the best way to learn what is supported by the printer in terms of filament brands and settings

Polymaker is the filament i use 90% of the time, very good quality!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BiMNrd said:

guys, Would installing CURA and going to the "store" be the best way to learn what is supported by the printer in terms of filament brands and settings

Yes, it is one of the options. But you can also play 100% safe and use the UM filaments, then your are sure about all the parameters. Really consider this option, and then you will learn to appreciate the total package Ultimaker offers you.

• Thanks 1

I can agree with that, UM material is a bit more expensive, but it also works very well. 
    With ABS, for example, everyone says it's difficult to print, UM ABS is almost as easy to print as PLA, which is worth the extra cost.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Smithy said:

With ABS, for example, everyone says it's difficult to print, UM ABS is almost as easy to print as PLA, which is worth the extra cost.

Definitely. And with Filament-Detection you have one less point of failure.

15 hours ago, BiMNrd said:

Well I just ordered my first ultimaker + hood.

Did not order the material handler for now. 

I am really excited!! 

Looking forward to learn more about using other materials. 

@SandervG

Congratulations! Welcome to Ultimaker 🙂

If you have any questions about using materials, feel free to ask us! We've dedicated a special area on our forum to materials: https://community.ultimaker.com/forum/111-materials

A complete overview of all available materials can be found here: https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials

Keep an eye on here, because new materials are added frequently. As you can see, Polymaker is one of the brands that we have material profiles for in the Ultimaker marketplace. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, SandervG said:

Congratulations! Welcome to Ultimaker 🙂

If you have any questions about using materials, feel free to ask us! We've dedicated a special area on our forum to materials: https://community.ultimaker.com/forum/111-materials

A complete overview of all available materials can be found here: https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials

Keep an eye on here, because new materials are added frequently. As you can see, Polymaker is one of the brands that we have material profiles for in the Ultimaker marketplace. 

@SandervG I sent you a PM, I am hoping that you can route my info to the right person and help me.

Thank you 

Edited by BiMNrd

RudydG

thanks for the advise have not placed order YET still thinking, I take on board and totally agree about S3D I use it all the time but can see an end to it with the UM3S

Thanks for the advise. 

I never used s3d. Only cura. Never had any issues. Cura always gave me great results. 

cloakfiend

I understand, when I first started out with 3d printing I was learning by myself (made loads of mistakes and learned from them) didn't seem to get away with cura, and at the time S3D was in a field of its own, if you were planning to use Multy extrusions it was the  thing to learn ,,  how time's have changed🙄

Ahh until i got the s5 i never had two extruders so i guess i never encountered those issues! lucky for me! I guess being late to the game wasnt so bad then! Now to master .06 pva....

I'm torn about the font choice for Ultimaker though. I get the symmetrical U as a logo but the rest? hmm. I kinda prefer the other font it appeared more clean, new one seems just like a basic typed out font from dafont or some free site. Legal issue? whatever. minor quarm. Please change it back, you can leave the U if you like. Eurostile is a fav of mine, lolz.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 12.26.13.png

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 1

37 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

Please change it back, you can leave the U if you like. 

We'll take it into consideration! 😉

So the company is changing their logo?  Im confussed.

We made some visual changes to our brand in the beginning of July, like allowing a different color scheme, using different visual elements, and we changed our logo to a new one which we feel reflects our brand better. No new changes are in the pipeline to what you are used to 🙂

Lol, i was just bored and felt like offerring a design suggestion/direction for the brand logo...which wasnt asked for btw lol.

...but surely you noticed theres no more robot on the side. My s5 has a robot. The one on the picture doesn't.

Im glad you kept the white colour though. It means it can live in my mums kitchen without her being to bothered about it!. Black would be a no no for the kitchen

Mine does too.. has dimples on the font panel that the printers in the photos dont heh🤣 🙄

Edited by BiMNrd

Hey 🙂

Does here anybody know if there are existing problems regarding delivery or firmware with the material station or the air manager?

Thanks a lot!