UM3 Existing extruder wheel upgrade guide / posts?

Posted · UM3 Existing extruder wheel upgrade guide / posts?

First of all, hi. (first post here)

I've done a few searches but haven't quite nailed what I'm after. I have an UM3 which has mostly been a joy to use, the only issue I've had so far was having to replace my bowden tube a year into it as they seem to have shrunk, where even fresh material was creating a fair bit of friction while testing manually. 

I've been experimenting with various softer material like ninjaflex and rigidink flex PLA, they work.. 80% of the time at slow speeds, and generally the failure happens at the point of the extruder, where the material is grind flat. I have read on here on older threads that people have upgraded to the Bondtech extruders (for UM2) to combat this, I wonder if there has been any documented experiences on just upgrading the knurled wheels to increase torque and grip? While I don't mind spending to upgrade to the Bondtech, I'm not too comfortable with having to mess with e-steps in the firmware, so trying to increase grip while avoiding having to do that. Would appreciate any advice on this for the UM3, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · UM3 Existing extruder wheel upgrade guide / posts?

Changing the steps / mm can be done without firmware modifications, but then you have to correct it with every print job.

You can do this in the start code section in your Cura's printer definition:

G92 E<steps/mm>

Disadvantage is that this gcode now only works on your modified printer.

The UM2+ / UM3 feeder wheels do wear down. When tested with composite material, just printing 1 roll of filament was enough to cause extensive wear on the feeder wheel. That's why the abrasive resistant CC-printcore is not supported on the UM3. The S5 feeder wheel was hardened extra.

Perhaps you can get a replacement feeder wheel?