blobface

UM3 Existing extruder wheel upgrade guide / posts?

Posted · UM3 Existing extruder wheel upgrade guide / posts?

First of all, hi. (first post here)

I've done a few searches but haven't quite nailed what I'm after. I have an UM3 which has mostly been a joy to use, the only issue I've had so far was having to replace my bowden tube a year into it as they seem to have shrunk, where even fresh material was creating a fair bit of friction while testing manually. 

I've been experimenting with various softer material like ninjaflex and rigidink flex PLA, they work.. 80% of the time at slow speeds, and generally the failure happens at the point of the extruder, where the material is grind flat. I have read on here on older threads that people have upgraded to the Bondtech extruders (for UM2) to combat this, I wonder if there has been any documented experiences on just upgrading the knurled wheels to increase torque and grip? While I don't mind spending to upgrade to the Bondtech, I'm not too comfortable with having to mess with e-steps in the firmware, so trying to increase grip while avoiding having to do that. Would appreciate any advice on this for the UM3, thanks!