Create API for slicing?

grabapple

Posted (edited) · Create API for slicing?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a webapp that allows my customers to slice their model and see it's cost before they decide to send it to me for printing. I had the idea of using Cura since it's open-source - has anyone attempted something similar before?

Regards,

G

Edited by grabapple

• 5 months later...
    Posted · Create API for slicing?

Should be possible. Cura runs in Docker without too many issues, although the memory and CPU footprint can be quite large. In general the problem would not really be technology, but the cost associated with running an intensive application like Cura on (virtual) machines that you need to pay for.

hi i build (it is now in beta test ) make3d.biz for making your 3d Printer shareable and we use Cura in an docker for getting the times and g Files for the prints. The machine where i run slicers are my own ,.. so costs are stable 

You are right it will be done next 2 days i am not good in nginx so after weekend it should be ok !

thanx for mentioning it and for the feedback , And i am now changing the slicer process that is scales up so while one task is slicing it uses next slicer image ;)- 

• Like 1

Btw https:/ is now enabled next step will be social login enabling 

behind the scenes we work on slicer improvements 

have a nice weekend 

Nice! Good to see security in place 🙂

Btw, I'm getting an error on your /home page:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'replace' of null
        at Module.n [as getAbsoluteURL] (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:215)
        at x.render (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:215)
        at ml (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at hl (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at Cs (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at Ks (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at Hs (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at Ls (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)
        at f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9
        at t.unstable_runWithPriority (f0278471e4fc5ec556510559c7bdb601d8646621.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9)

hi that might be because i rebooted the docker image but thank you for trying it out now it should work if not i might shift you to admin role thx tk 

Still got the same issue (also when clearing cache).

Hi , 

yes we are in development so till thursday next week we will have ironed out all the issues (happens when 2 people do changes on DB ;)-  and then we have a first version which we intensive test with an local makerspace. (meanwhile i rewrite the cura stuff that error handling is improved and we can have several curas in different pods parallel to have good user experience. ) 

we dont have an Ultimaker 5 at hand (only a 3) because next step is then to have an software wich runs on an webpage and or raspberry to use rest api of Ultimaker for publishing State and Material in printer back to cloud, 

This will then lead to be able to send down print to this printer ,.. (after paying of course ) 

so thank you for your participance thomas 

Feel free to check out the Ultimaker Cloud APIs, they might make your life easier with regards to sending jobs to connected printers.

Hello!

How did you setup the Cura API ?