Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gadgetfreak

Ultimaker 2 firmware bug (ABS temperature 280 degrees)

Hi,

I'm constantly finding new bugs/improvement points on the Ultimaker 2.

I just noticed that ABS is set to 280C but there seems to be no way to change it (?).

I just reported this bug to the new ScretMarlin firmware github place:

"In the Ultimaker 2 menu structure, you can select ABS as material.

From MATERIAL->SETTINGS->ABS

The temperature is then set to 280C.

However, the firmware seems to have a limit (I'm guessing at 260C since that is the official highest in specifications in User Manual) whenever heating the printhead.

So when you do MATERIAL->CHANGE it first brings up:

"Heating printhead for material removal"

as it comes up in temperature (to 260C I guess)

it eventually stops with an:

"ERROR - STOPPED Temp sensor contact support@ultimaker.com"

I'm guessing this is simply about changing the ABS temperature to a lower value?

(It would of course be extremely useful to be able to add other materials and also change temperatures for both ABS and PLA)"

I'm not really using ABS, but as I use Colorfabb XT a lot which needs at least 225-230C to flow easily in my Ultimaker 1 and 2, I would really like to use the ABS profile.

Even better would be to be able to add new materials for the "Change" procedures.

I can change a temperature setting in "Customize" however that gets overwritten whenever I select PLA again.

Also, I'm not sure the "Customized" temperature setting is used when doing the "change procedure". It's hard to tell as the temperature is not displayed

260C is the safe limit for the teflon in there. If you want higher temperatures you need to compile the firmware yourself, and you'll most likely risk damaging the teflon. (I have heated up a printer to 500C, which it survived with minor damage, but that was a safety test to make sure your house dose not burn down)

The temp setting can be changed under Customize, it's the same menu where you choose ABS and PLA, just scroll down, but before you customize you need to select ABS than go back to the menu & choose customize or you will change the PLA setting.

And yes the default setting is too high for both in my opinion, ABS set @ 280c and I think PLA is 240c.

210-220 is more than enough for PLA.

260C is the safe limit for the teflon in there. If you want higher temperatures you need to compile the firmware yourself, and you'll most likely risk damaging the teflon. (I have heated up a printer to 500C, which it survived with minor damage, but that was a safety test to make sure your house dose not burn down)

what about print with nylon y really love it, what do you thing about change the limit to 280 or 290 cud be safe in off.

this was going to be one of the first changes on the firmware i want to made.

what about print with nylon y really love it, what do you thing about change the limit to 280 or 290 cud be safe in off.

this was going to be one of the first changes on the firmware i want to made.

You are free to change the firmware if you want. But the 260C is a safety limit we set, as we cannot guarantee that the printer stays operational above those temperatures.