Slicing Thin Internal Walls

64Pacific

Posted (edited) · Slicing Thin Internal Walls

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of developing a model kit which consists of some trusses, well a lot of trusses, which in the real world are fabricated with steel angles. The screen grab (brass coloured) from Solid Edge should hopefully give a bit more insight into what I am hoping to achieve without releasing everything that I am working on. I have made the model and printed it successfully on the Ultimaker 3 but I would like to clean it up a bit. Currently I am using Cura 4.3 to slice up my model and prepare it for printing but I am noticing that some internal thin walls shown in yellow on the attached image are slicing in a rather inefficient manner - the same slicing is noticed in previous versions of Cura.

SE.thumb.JPG.ff81e7b68176b4829806ece596b4e188.JPG

The external walls have print lines that run parallel to the direction of the wall while the internal walls are created by having the print head run close to perpendicular to the wall direction (notice how messy the yellow wall is). Is there a way that I can force Cura to slice up the model a little more efficiently forcing the head to run parallel to the wall direction as opposed to running across it multiple times?

SLiced.JPG.5666617b57489ab553a95ab7a43df89d.JPG

Doing a bit of experimenting, these walls which show in the sliced preview above as many small yellow print head strokes are very thin in the model at 0.005" - this is way beyond what the printer is capable of. If I adjust the width of the walls up to 0.01" in the model and re-slice the slicing is as I would prefer - see the screen shot below with the grey preview parts and red lines. I do have the thin wall option turned on during all slicing.

765353355_Slicedbetter.thumb.JPG.e43f516ebe2a98ea512337a9b4535eee.JPG

Thanks!

Edited by 64Pacific
Trying to format the post nicely in regards to images...