Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently

thelemurking

Posted · Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently

I just bought an S5 and the wifi is extremely unreliable to the point that its pretty much so useless. Hopefully these issues get fixed. The printer rarely connects for more than 20 seconds at a time. Looks like I am back to using external drives.  

I was going to start a new thread but this seems close enough for me to add my contributions.

I've been using Ethernet since day one with my S5, It seemed ok to begin with but once I had it up and running with more jobs, things in the queue, etc, it's generally unreachable, this is in the app, through the web page and the Cura software.

One thing I have observed is that even though I've not prompted the printer to connect to the UM Cloud it attempts to establish a HTTPS connection to api.ultimaker.com, every 4 seconds (ish). My things don't get access to the internet unless they need it so these requests are dropped by my firewall.

Is there a chance that this is the cause for my instability?

I've now a special rule to stop logging the failures as they where generating too much noise in logging, can anyone advise how I stop the printer trying to call home?

1 minute ago, mcaddy said:

I was going to start a new thread but this seems close enough for me to add my contributions.

I've been using Ethernet since day one with my S5, It seemed ok to begin with but once I had it up and running with more jobs, things in the queue, etc, it's generally unreachable, this is in the app, through the web page and the Cura software.

One thing I have observed is that even though I've not prompted the printer to connect to the UM Cloud it attempts to establish a HTTPS connection to api.ultimaker.com, every 4 seconds (ish). My things don't get access to the internet unless they need it so these requests are dropped by my firewall.

Is there a chance that this is the cause for my instability?

I've now a special rule to stop logging the failures as they where generating too much noise in logging, can anyone advise how I stop the printer trying to call home?

Can you share logs with me? As far as I know the printer shouldn't call api.ultimaker.com unless specifically asked for.

14 minutes ago, mcaddy said:

it's generally unreachable, this is in the app, through the web page and the Cura software.

Also having all my Ultimaker printers wired and the S5 host with 2 UM3E slaves.

With Cura 4,3 and above, the S5 disconnects frequently from Cura. This may lead to many instances of the networked printer created in the Printers list.

Since I've downgraded to Cura 4.2.1 not any single disconnection from Cura.

Regarding the disconnection from the web page, I haven't noticed it under macOS 10.14 and Safari, even with Little Snitch

On 5/13/2020 at 10:47 AM, ctbeke said:

Can you share logs with me? As far as I know the printer shouldn't call api.ultimaker.com unless specifically asked for.

Not right now as when I try to download the logs the touch screen UI just hangs, I will give the system a reboot when I get a chance and see if things improve.

IMG_7760.mov.zipHere is a video to show your team of what happens when you try to reconnect to wifi after a long print.  In the video, an all night print has been completed and the S5 has been disconnected from wifi, preventing me from starting another print.  But when I try to reconnect in the Network menu, I just get denied.

• Like 1

Hi my new UM5 has the same problem. It disconnects from wifi. Couldn't you just enable some wifi restart button please?

• Like 1

I am having the same problem. During printing my S5 disconnects from wifi. If I go to the network panel on the printer, the wifi toggle is in the off state and disabled from moving back to on. It requires I restart the printer but always reconnects instantly. This appears to be a software issue on the printer. thank you for your support. 

• Like 1

10/16/2020.......Latest firmware and cura 4.7.1.  Ultimaker 5S, ethernet connected.  A week ago after latest update my printer disconnects after a few seconds in Cura.  I can connect with the digital factory, but file sent to print does not show up on my printer.  Has anybody fixed this yet?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:35 PM, gisley said:

10/16/2020.......Latest firmware and cura 4.7.1.  Ultimaker 5S, ethernet connected.  A week ago after latest update my printer disconnects after a few seconds in Cura.  I can connect with the digital factory, but file sent to print does not show up on my printer.  Has anybody fixed this yet?

I am still using Cura 4.2.1 because I had no disconnections over ethernet on my S5. Also I haven't upgraded the FW, still 5.2.11. But I was thinking of an upgrade.

In my case disconnections were linked to the creation of a bunch of "shadow" printers by Cura 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 (all were a PITA regarding this weird behavior).

Printer were visible in the printer management tool, but not connected except one. That was messing up the connection.

Is that your case?

I had some calls with Ultimaker Team, but they were saying not to be able to reproduce the problem....

• Like 1

Running Cura 4.11.0 and Ultimaker S5 firmware 6.5.1 on "legacy" model (pre-2020).  Since day 1 (several years ago) I have had repeated difficulty connecting between Cura and the Ultimaker.  I often cannot currently print via wifi.  The ultimaker shows it is connected to my wifi network, my wifi monitor shows the printer is connected to the router, my computer is connected to the router (via ethernet cable), yet Cura does not see the printer.   And yes, I have rebooted  the printer, turned off/on the wifi on the printer, as well as rebooted my computer and rebooted the router, many times.  In the past (multiple different software/firmware levels) Cura would sometimes connect to the printer with no problem, but other times would not enable wifi printing, quite randomly.  Sometimes a reboot of either computer or printer would solve it, other times not.  When it did work, the camera would often disconnect during a print, indicating a loss of network connectivity.  I have come to the conclusion that the S5 and Cura are not on speaking terms and require counseling, but since they're not in the same room they just can't solve their relationship issues!

Update - just rebooted the router (again) and now they are talking to each other, but when I click the camera icon on the monitor page, nothing happens, both in Cura and in the browser application (black screen when camera clicked in the browser).

• Like 1

Since a couple of versions there my cura often looses connection with my WIFI connected S5. The problem has become increasingly worse. Everytime I have to goto machine settings and refresh the wifi. Why?

• Like 1