Cura Mesh Fix Issue.

UnitedReign

Posted · Cura Mesh Fix Issue.

I am working on a speaker enclosure project and i am running into the issue where on the rendered project in sketchup pro 2017 it looks exactly how id like it to look, The issue is when i put the models in Cura to slice for my printer it keeps adding unnecessary layers internally and externally and i am unable to figure out why they are added into the gcode. I have tried enabling/disabling different settings, none of which change the outcome of the gcode once sliced. Attaching copies of the 3d models and screenshots.

When unsliced the smaller part has a "roof" on it, other than the roof, the part is fine and the larger part looks as it should, after slicing it the smaller part looks as it should but the larger part has a "roof", a layer in the middle *reducing air space", and the bottom no longer has the hole.

halp.thumb.PNG.761c3b8d0f0fe2252ba80c5b986663a8.PNGhalp3.thumb.PNG.60678f3dfe85882a5e2c2ac6625f5546.PNGhalp4.thumb.PNG.cfbf9e50959ec6b6cc6144116c8d51a9.PNG

I am still fairly new to 3d modeling and settings for my Ender 3 pro so any advise for improvements to how i design/slice my models would be much appreciated.

halp3.PNG

halp4.PNG

halp5.PNG

halp6.PNG

halp.PNG

halp2.PNG

base of enclosure.obj main body of enclosure.obj top of enclosure.obj

Okay so in sketchup - sketchup lets you create non-solids.  And in the STL file sketchup is telling cura which sides of the surfaces face air and which side faces plastic.  You want to see *only* what faces.  But in the image below where I zoomed in on one of your images - you can see the inside of that cylinder is blueish gray?  Right click on that and select "reverse faces" and it will turn white indicating that the visible side of that cylinder is facing air.

Look for other surfaces like that.  That's the only one in my tiny clip but I see the inside base is blue in one box and the taller box with the two vertical holes has the center (of 3 faces) as blue.  Fix all of those.  Here are more hints - it looks like a lot to read but it's pretty straight forward and quick reading and very informative:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

a.png

Also go to "preview" mode (top center) and on the left switch from "layer view" to "xray view" and if you see any red in xray view you either have an extra interior surface or a missing surface.  This is discussed also in the link above.