Very simple shield model has erronous areas in Cura

wouter93

Posted · Very simple shield model has erronous areas in Cura

I am trying to print a small shield (attaching it to a d&d miniature), but cura X-ray shows some erronous areas  and the printing fails as well.

Here's what it looks like:

shield.PNG.6b5f228f29726ad097c2ecf94cf02dac.PNG

shielderror.thumb.PNG.a00f8b28469a08a720c95a54bee39865.PNG

shielderror2.PNG.e27226f83feb1d05386a18c1db1c5cab.PNG

Anyone have an idea on why this simple shield cannot be printed?

shield.stl

Your model is probably not watertight and therefore the slicing fails and Cura shows you the red areas.

Have you designed the model yourself and if yes, with which software?

Looks water tight to me, if you mean holes.  

I pulled it off a different character using Blender. I didn't model the shield myself

Even then it seems a bit ridiculous to mark the entire 2 sides red if there is just a hole somewhere?

shield.stl

Could also be a problem or failure during the export to the STL file and not water tight doesn't mean you always see the problem. A single polygon which is missing could be enough.

Try to repair the STL file here:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

You have to create an account, but the service is free.

Posted (edited) · Very simple shield model has erronous areas in Cura

I managed to fix it in Blender (there were no holes).  The 2 sides of the shield were isolated planes,  which isnt allowed for some reason.

I connected those 2 circles into a cylinder and now it prints fine

In fact from the pictures you could've easily guessed this instead of 'check for holes' 🙂

Edited by wouter93

1 hour ago, wouter93 said:

The 2 sides of the shield were isolated planes,  which isnt allowed for some reason.

The reason is that the mesh needs to clearly delineate what is inside vs outside the solid. Isolated planes do not define a solid.

If you are interested in more details, you can google “boundary representation” or “BREP”.

glad you were able to fix it.