UM2+ feeder gear keeps slipping off

TheRealJoost

Posted · UM2+ feeder gear keeps slipping off

The small gear on the feeder motor of my UM2+ keeps slipping off. It is loose enough for me to be able to put it on the motor shaft by hand without all too much force. The problem with it slipping off is that this affects extrusion negatively. Seems it is worn out to the point that it must be replaced?  If so, where can I get a replacement?

Hi @TheRealJoost

Just to make sure we're talking about the same part, can you share the partnumber (if you know it), or a picture of the part that you need? 

Posted (edited) · UM2+ feeder gear keeps slipping off
    10 hours ago, Curven said:

Hope someone from Ultimaker will help you...

@SandervG any advise on a way to find an official spare part?

Is this the part you need to replace?

If you don't find official replacement part it would be a solution...

Yep, its that small one (11 teeth). I haven't had much luck on aliexpress but for that price its worth a shot, thanks for the reference

Edited by TheRealJoost

Posted (edited) · UM2+ feeder gear keeps slipping off
    9 hours ago, SandervG said:

Hi @TheRealJoost

Just to make sure we're talking about the same part, can you share the partnumber (if you know it), or a picture of the part that you need? 

Hoi Sander, thanks for getting in here; its the small gear (11 teeth) on the feeder motor - see image from aliexpress Curven submitted above. An official gear would be nice to get. Any idea why the gear would be slipping off?  Have you guys seen this? I thought gear wear out would be teeth issues, not slow shaft slippin'

Edited by TheRealJoost

So I am quite at a loss what I should do next here. @SandervG, I have replied to your msg above, I have sent you a direct mail also. I understand there is more money in selling a new Ultimaker printer then providing a measely plastic gear. Customer service no longer important?

Thoiugh I'm not sure Ultimaker is still officially suppling loose parts of the feeder (they should IMHO...) they did in the past, see below for the partnumber of your small gear, Just try to order at your reseller and mention the ultimaker partnumber (bottom right on the label)

image.thumb.png.1347a458197e1a32422eeb34ca981e26.png

@ultiarjan thanks. None of the resellers here seem to carry this gear. What a stupid thing to have a 2500 bucks device sit idle for a 2.10 part. I can't even _print_ a replacement because this gear keeps slipping off.

If i remember right, this was a common problem for the first batches of UM2+ feeders.

The shape of the gear wheel and the manufacturing process was changed later. Since then - only the whole stepper motor with the gear wheel already assembled on the motor shaft is available as a spare part (on request).

Even if the originally used gear wheel would be available, it would come loose again after a while.

You can try to glue it in place with a drop of epoxy (or buy the longer version from the link above first).

I'm not sure how long it will work, but it's worth a try.

Why not change to bondtech?

11 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

If i remember right, this was a common problem for the first batches of UM2+ feeders.

The shape of the gear wheel and the manufacturing process was changed later. Since then - only the whole stepper motor with the gear wheel already assembled on the motor shaft is available as a spare part (on request).

Even if the originally used gear wheel would be available, it would come loose again after a while.

You can try to glue it in place with a drop of epoxy (or buy the longer version from the link above first).

I'm not sure how long it will work, but it's worth a try.

I did purchase from AliExpress a while ago - package never arrived (as usual), might try that epoxy though bonding metal and delrin (?) is never easy if at all possible. Probably best to swap out for a new motor+gear in that case.

11 hours ago, dxp said:

Why not change to bondtech?

I have a bondtech extruder, it interfaces to the 11T gear but does not include it. Is there a bondtech motor+gear I don't know of?

The Bondtech QR includes everything.

Gggling for Gears

POM is almost impossible to glue. But the Epoxi will provide a form-fit.

...or print one?

...or print one?

Thats a little difficult to do right now 😐

7 hours ago, dxp said:

Gggling for Gears

POM is almost impossible to glue. But the Epoxi will provide a form-fit.

Thanks for the references to the metal gears. I've seen those but would like to avoid a metal-plastic interface, generally the plastic goes quickly (depending on the finish of the metal gear). However, this might be the ticket to get the UM printer going for a while if gluing does not hold.

LocTite makes some epoxy for glueing Delrin, it needs heated curing. Might need to give that a try.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1