Distance between the nozzle and bed plate?

Posted · Distance between the nozzle and bed plate?

There should be a little distance about 0.15mm. If you use a sheet of paper this is usually enough. It also doesn't matter if it is 0.15 or 0.18 or whatever. You first layer should look good and should adhere to the plate.

But use a sheet of paper and level the nozzle in a way that you feel a little resistance (maybe a bit more then little) on the paper when you move the sheet. It is hard to explain, but you will get a feeling for that. If the first layer don't stick well, you have to level nearer to the plate.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

hi, 

I dont understand my printer. i do have Ultimaker 3.

I do manual leveling as its asking, 1mm after final calibrating card.

after manual leveling i turn rising bed, and its hits 2 nd head no gap between. 

lets say i choose automatic leveling still hits head after rising bed, what ever i do , its start printing to close, head scratching glass

so how to get sorted? 

In the second stage of manual bed leveling there is supposed to be a 0.1mm gap. You're supposed to put a normal A4 paper or calibration card in between and feel a bit of resistance.

First stage = 1mm (or less), second stage = 0?1mm (accurately).

how come after automatic leveling 2nd head scratch a bed? its no gap at all.

if i did manual leveling as you said 0.1 still nothing. 

is it possible somehow get in printer to read saved settings for leveling? why it keeps head so low.

Perhaps you should first do a nozzle offset calibration then.

I haven't seen this problem in a long while. Are you running the latest firmware?

sorry for later replay, Yes i am running latest software, and would say its happens after update.

Automatic leveling not working right at all. if i change head size and let do auto leveling, it will get wrong level, head scratching glass.

If i do manual leveling , and switch off auto leveling, it keeps ok until i change head.

my understanding auto leveling should get right level itself but it not happening.

Sounds exactly like my problem that began after installing a new printcore

yes sound same , auto leveling can get right height. i did manuly and switch off leveling. it works until i will have to change a core or one of heads.