Stepping motor and extruder gears not aligning

Posted · Stepping motor and extruder gears not aligning

I have a UM2+ (just bought it second hand). I haven't been able to get it to print right yet, but it was at least taking the filament and printing (just not well). Since updating to the 'Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2plus-17.10.1' and me accidentally doing a load filament while the filament was already loaded (lots of fun sounds). I am unable to put filament into the machine. I took the bondtech extruder off to examine and found that the large gear that connects to the stepper motor gear doesn't reach it unless it's pressed against the case of the printer (pictures to explain). So the extruder gear isn't turning.

Am I missing a gear? 
Am I stupid, have I missed something? 
Never had an ultimaker before so I do not know what it should look like. 

Perhaps I lost a gear when taking the extruder apart, haven't been able to find it on the floor though.

Anyway, I'm going mad trying to fix this, please help. 
Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You need to pull that smaller gear outward along the stepper shaft.

I had a um plus where that gear failed in some way (I think it was the same way?  Sliding along the shaft ever few minutes?) and I contacted my reseller and got a new stepper with gear.  I think it was free - not sure if I was lucky and still under warranty.  Contact the biggest reseller in your country and they will want the serial number.

Posted (edited) · Stepping motor and extruder gears not aligning

WOW, thank you! I tried this earlier but didn't want to break anything so clearly didn't pull hard enough. Just popped 2 flat head screw drivers behind it and it moved out. Seems to be all in place now. 
    Thank you so much!!!! All good now! 
    Just got to make it print now....

We will pretend I didn't spend 2 hours looking on my floor for another gear.....

Side note, you would think they would have made that small gear a bit fatter so it can't be pushed in and stop working, unless there is a reason it should be able to move? 

Edited by Splendid_Lt

15 hours ago, Splendid_Lt said:

Side note, you would think they would have made that small gear a bit fatter so it can't be pushed in and stop working

They did. It seems like you have a very early model.

For later produced units the spur gear was modified (Part 1969-F):

1969-F.PNG.4c7dc715b72c19ec734b23f079963b6d.PNG

Ultimaker doesn't sell the gears separately, but you could print a small spacer and put in behind the gear.

De-grease the motor axis before reattaching and add a drop of superglue to hold it in place.