0.25mm AA printcore (PLA) + 0.4mm BB printcore (PVA) = troubles?

akke

Posted · 0.25mm AA printcore (PLA) + 0.4mm BB printcore (PVA) = troubles?

I have a 0.25mm AA printcore with ultimaker PLA loaded. The second printcore is a 0.4mm BB printcore with ultimaker PVA.

Now, when printing with both cores separately, everything is working perfectly fine. They both print just perfect.

When printing a model with PVA supports it all starts perfectly fine until it starts printing the first PLA layer on top of the PVA supports.

It does print it, it does stick as expected.. but it's underextruding.

I think Cura is printing PVA with a 0.2mm layer while still printing the PLA with a 0.1mm layer (=only option for 0.25mm core) and I think it's starting to print the first PLA layer too high from the PVA supports.

Has anyone else tried printing with these cores?

Printing tiny models usually isn't a problem but as soon as the model is like 5cm or bigger you can clearly see it's underextruding while printing the first PLA layer on top of the PVA supports.

Is this a Cura bug?

Posted (edited) · 0.25mm AA printcore (PLA) + 0.4mm BB printcore (PVA) = troubles?

Hej I often print with a 0.25AA and a 0.4BB with out problems. Also relative big models. 

Did you use a preset Cura profile or make one yourself?

If you are worried about a different layer height. You can check if the layer is the same on bought cores by either clicking on the fan 1 or 2 in the drop down menu

025AA.thumb.png.8cbdf2b79919ef89f72ec320b993ef1b.png

04BB.thumb.png.e5c6a22ec35922b2f869655b6830af54.png

It can also be that you have a small disten between the Pva and Pla (to make disassembly easier) 

"support Z distance"
    "support Top distance"
    "support Bottom distance"

When using PVA I always set all three to 0 (can give other problems but if you use a Pva that more or less completely dissolve in water its not a big deal.)

025AA.png

04BB.png

Edited by NBull
    Don't know why but can't get it to stop double posting the image?

Posted (edited) · 0.25mm AA printcore (PLA) + 0.4mm BB printcore (PVA) = troubles?

Hi,

I already had all of them (Z distance, top distance and bottom distance) at 0. It's the default, isn't it?

I'm working with the default settings/profiles.

I tried again today, with a large rectangle and it looks like on the front right the layers are okay but more on the left and to the back it's clearly underextruding.

This makes me think that maybe the bed is not level but I have active leveling enabled and it measures the distance before every print. So the bed shouldn't be the problem, right? 

(And the first layer of PVA prints perfecly fine. And printing PLA on the bed prints perfecly fine too. So this doesn't make me think it can be the bed level...)

Edited by akke