Opinions about Hightemp PLA

3dcase

Posted · Opinions about Hightemp PLA

Hi there,

scanning the posts back to 2012, still not convinced what to order..

Made myself a new printhead to get my dualextruder working, works and looks great, for a while. But the points hitting the aluminium plate get soft.

I'm looking for a material printable without a heated bed, but with a higher glass transition temp. than the standard PLA, any 2013 ideas?

Read about PLA90, pet, nylon. will one of those stick on a cold bed?

Depending on what you want to print, you can probably print nylon fairly successfully without a heated bed. In my testing, PA6 Nylon printed pretty well straight onto the acrylic bed covered in gluestick. It resisted warping pretty well, although I'm sure that it would do better with a heated bed. Downside is that you need to print it at about 265ºC, which might be getting a bit marginal for a standard UM - although I haven't had problems so far.

I'm using PLA90 from Orbi-Tech for that:

http://www.orbi-tech.de/shop/3D-Filaments/PLA/3-mm-PLA/Premium-PLA-90-3-mm-natural::280.html

It has a softening temerature around 90 degrees.

For a overview of there filaments and specs:

http://www.orbi-tech.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/Printing_filaments_overview.jpg

I'm also using ColorFabb XT, but more as a replacement for ABS parts.

I've just received delivery of some PLA90 from Orbi-Tech, very good service. I tried my first print earlier, I went for a temperature of 225, I normally run about 210 for standard PLA. It's looking promising, I started another thread early this week under Questions and Answers as I intend making low temperature vulcanised silicone moulds for spin casting pewter. This requires being held at a temperature of about 90C for an hour. I'll give that a try when I'm a little less busy next week and report back with some photos.

thanks for the answers, I will order some of that pla90.

For now I 'stick' with the abs and gluestick on glass thing, added some extra supports ( to be cut off)

WP 000770

For now it holds :ugeek:

hi

i just recently finished a job using only PLA 90 because it doesnt warp and is very easy and convenient

to sand.

P1070025P1070041P1070047P1070056P1070069P1070081P1070090P1070096P1070102

good luck

Holy sh**!!! Please tell me you mean the ninja turtle and not the truck. Because this thing looks like manufactured by a big toy company.

Great job with painting and assembling. How long did it take?

Holy sh**!!! Please tell me you mean the ninja turtle and not the truck. Because this thing looks like manufactured by a big toy company.

Great job with painting and assembling. How long did it take?

I fully agree with Nicolinux. This piece is amazing! And thanks for the information about the used material...

There's a tiny bit more information about the truck here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/page-32#entry21258

Scroll to post #631 (post numbers on right edge) in case the above link doesn't get you exactly to the right post.

Then read post #636.

Hi,

update on the printhead :(.

Ordered myself a roll of PLA90 in Germany.

The ABS stuck that good on the glue and glass...

Higher up in the print I have cracks of the internal stresses I guess.

DSCN1762

That printhead is very interesting, are you willing to share the file with us?

Would be very appreciated!

I will share it on Youmagine when it fits (like to try first myself :shock: )

I'm confused - that pink part you printed - was it ABS or PLA90? It was ABS, right?

I'm confused - that pink part you printed - was it ABS or PLA90? It was ABS, right?

Yes its ABS. next try will be the PLA90 when it arrives

I will share it on Youmagine when it fits (like to try first myself :shock: )

Thank you in avance !

Look what I found in the printer this morning!

Might be, somebody tried it before in 3DPrinting, bit I thought it could give a lot of new possibilities.

The printhead in standard Pla melted/softened near the aluminium.

The ABS (on a cold bed) delaminated, used a to low temp. to prevent warping.

The PLA90 held the temperature, but in my opinion not 'mechanically' strong enough. (softer and more flex than normal PLA).

Dual Printhead PLA90 PLA

Now see what happens when this one is build in. Hope the Idea was a good one :shock: .

Else it kept me of the street :cool:

You mean, you combined two materials? You mean, you did exactly what Ultimaker says in the description of the dual extruder what should not be done...? :shock: :cool:

You mean, you combined two materials? You mean, you did exactly what Ultimaker says in the description of the dual extruder what should not be done...? :shock: :cool:

Heuh?

OMG.... am I in trouble now:shock:.

where did you read that?

No one told me... the machine and the kit are paid fore, so mine I assume. :cool:

And I obviously did not print it for the nice colour combination.. :mrgreen:

Let's hope the NSA is still asleep..

OMG.... am I in trouble now

Lol! :)

I am confused. You explained several ideas but never said what you actually did. The purple section is PLA, right? What is the white section? PLA90? ABS?

This is very clever! I really like this idea! Especially the zig-zag triangular seperation between white and purple.

Lol! :)

I am confused. You explained several ideas but never said what you actually did.

Well, what I did is...

I wanted a strong sturdy dual printhead, so I tried to combine the heat resistance of PLA90 with strong normal PLA.

Thought the zigzag should help to bond the 2 better together, (That works :) ).

Might be an idea for other material combinations as well.....

Here it is :)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dual-printhead