Ultimaker-2 Major problems.

naz72

Posted · Ultimaker-2 Major problems.

gr5,

I checked that settings is enabled by default in Cura but still having that problem.

Okay here is another problem that I need help with cause I don't know what exactly is causing it. It is related to the head parking location (0,0) x,y

Whenever a print is done or I hit Home button in cura for (x,y) than there is weird noise which indicates that the stepper motor is still doing some kind of work, to get that noise to stop I have to hit -1mm in Cura for the y direction.

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retraction issue:

Okay so its not the retraction but rather extrusion, so if for example I click the extrude bottom in Cura 3 or 4 times quickly to extrude say 30-40mm material than I keep hearing that sound & I can see that it somehow might have an issue extracting that much material or something, not sure how to fix that yet, but its defiantly extrusion problem.

EDIT: Seems that its slipping, there is a set screw at the back for tension & if I set it to loose it slips all the time & if I set it to highest tension is better but still slips if I extrude quickly.

seems like two things to me, either stepper motor needs more current or I need to set temps to 220c as now I'm extruding @ 210c.

EDIT-2: not even 225c works, defiantly stepper motor slipping (skipping) set screw help a little when set to more tension (White mark at top indicator) but doesn't fix the problem.

might need to open that Bowden box at the back :mad:

EDIT-3: After opening the Bowden gear it seems that it actually works better with "LESS" tension as in the white indicator on top & not screwed all the way in, here is a picture of it when at least tension, but I am still getting lipping even though its set at lowest tension, so not sure what to do.

null_zps1e08ec92.jpg

Here is the set screw usually at the top to increase tension.

null_zps96b58eba.jpg

Put the Bowden box back together but still same issue, leading me to think I need more power to the stepper motor, how can we do that !?

Another option very much needed in Cura not on the Ultimaker is to extrude fast & like 20cm or so, that's handy when you replace the filament or do maintenance, the older version Ultimaker didn't require that since at the Bowden tube you could release the lever & push the tube, until it reaches the extruder. with this one you cant & have to painfully click extrude button like a 100 times in Cura.

Sander: I am not sure what parts are required to fix this problem with slipping, but I assume you know, so please provide these too unless its something I can do in the software/hardware.

I recently ordered and paid for an Ultimaker 2 and am still waiting for official notification that my order has been processed, I'm assuming it's yet to be shipped.

Reading this makes me very nervous, I really hope this is not an indicator of what I can expect?

Another option very much needed in Cura not on the Ultimaker is to extrude fast & like 20cm or so, that's handy when you replace the filament or do maintenance, the older version Ultimaker didn't require that since at the Bowden tube you could release the lever & push the tube, until it reaches the extruder. with this one you cant & have to painfully click extrude button like a 100 times in Cura.

Look at your printer. Notice the fancy blue screen at the front. Select "Material" from the "Print - Material - Maintenance" menu. Then select "Change" from the "Change - Settings - Back" menu.

Holy smoke, it helps in changing your filament.

(Connecting the UM2 with USB is not recommended, it's not in the manual, it's not on the feature list)

(Connecting the UM2 with USB is not recommended, it's not in the manual, it's not on the feature list)

No offense Dhaid, but what are you trying to say ?! That unlike other printers I shouldn't use any software while printing or tweak things but rather print from the printer directly ?! I am not sure it makes sense !!

Yes, that's what he is saying. They decided to move away from printing via USB on the UM2.

Personally I'm not a fan of it since I never ever had a problem with USB printing on the original but a lot of other people had issues.

No offense Dhaid, but what are you trying to say ?! That unlike other printers I shouldn't use any software while printing or tweak things but rather print from the printer directly ?! I am not sure it makes sense !!

No, I'm saying you should not use USB printing. You should use SD printing. The "on printer" menu allows more tweaking then the USB printing window anyhow. Flat out ignoring me, and the manual, and the workflow we set on the UM2 will not fix that in any way.

This means your computer never needs to be attached to the printer, you never can pull out the cable by excident during a 20h print job, it means no software can crash your 20h print job. And the stupid USB-Serial drivers from windows will not crash after 15h in your 20h print job.

What I'm saying is that you should see the printer as a machine, like a microwave. Not as a part of your computer. It might feel like an odd step to drag around the SD card, but it's the best technical solution we have right now, and work is begin done to move this towards better solutions like network printers.

Thank you Robert,

Never had any issues either on the older version or my Reprap one I built. usually this slipping issue could be fixed by turning the nob for the extruder driver on the Reprap printer to give it a little more current.

Also I just saved the gcode & it prints fine from the printer, but its printing at higher resolution that what I set in Cura. Shouldn't Cura save these layer settings etc to my gcode ??

P.S: Its a bit of a hassle to save to memory card since my computer doesn't have a card slot & have to save to USB than to laptop than to CARD. maybe if you guys want us to print from the printer directly you should make the process easier.DOhh :idea: :idea:

It can't print at a higher resolution than what is set in Cura - at least not if Cura is working. The gcode file is a literal description of all the lines that make up the print, so the layer height is implicit in the gcode. If you change the layer height, you get different lines in different places, and so totally different gcode.

If you aren't getting what you expected from the print, then it's because the gcode file didn't get written to the SD card properly, most likely. Make sure you're transferring and printing the right version of the file, and that you're properly ejecting the SD card from the computer when you're done.

Also I just saved the gcode & it prints fine from the printer, but its printing at higher resolution that what I set in Cura. Shouldn't Cura save these layer settings etc to my gcode ??

You should be able to get a USB-connected SD card reader for very little cost, so that you can write to SD directly from your slicing computer. It really is a far more reliable way to operate the printer in practice, once you get used to it :-)

What temperature, material, speed and layer height are you printing at when you are seeing the extruder problems? There are obviously going to be physical limits to how fast you can extrude, so the first thing we need to check that you aren't exceeding those limits.

What temperature, material, speed and layer height are you printing at when you are seeing the extruder problems? There are obviously going to be physical limits to how fast you can extrude, so the first thing we need to check that you aren't exceeding those limits.

illuminarti,

I agree, I am printing with .30 layer height & the rest is default.

Another question is, if gcode saves all settings from Cura & ignores printer settings than shouldn't I get the same slipping when printing a file I saved ?!?

Okay, now that the printer is at layer 5 in the print, it is started slipping again, this time its running directly from SD card & not connected with PC. so defiantly not a Cura related only issue.

Anyway to give more current to the extruder, I know this used to fix such issues with my Reprap printer !!!?Hope there is a way.

er is at layer 5 in the print, it is started slipping again

Try slowing down the print on the front of the UM. You can spin the dial so it prints at say 50% speed. Just see what happens.

I agree, I am printing with .30 layer height & the rest is default.

What is the default speed? It looks like you might be printing 100mm/sec. The UM has a .4mm nozzle so .4mmX.3 layer height X100 is 12mm^3 per sec. I did that in my head (4X3 is 12). 12mm^3 is beyond what a UM can do at 210C. You should be able to achieve that (maybe) at 240C. So either slow it down or raise the temp.

The current to the extruder stepper is now controlled in Marlin. There is no potentiometer. You might be able to set it in gcode or with the contoller. I don't know. Certainly you could build your own Marlin from Daid's source, but I wouldn't mess with it as you might pop off your bowden or break something else. The pressures at 12mm/sec^3 are incredible. Probably around 30 pounds of force. That's like picking up your UM by the bowden and swinging it around the room. So I'm not sure you want to increase the current just yet.

gr5,

Its already printing really slow & 100% & I am printing at 220c, my older UM could do that at 300% easy, this one cant even run at default speed & its not printing at 0.30 layer height cause it somehow didn't save these settings as I mentioned in my previous post.

This printer is FLAWED

A 0.3mm layer height is pretty high. I don't know what the 'default' speed is that you are using - and it does matter. Please look at the gcode, or just see what the speed is that is listed in Cura.

Whatever speed you are printing at, you're trying to extrude 50% more plastic per second than if you printed at 0.2mm layer height, so you are that much more likely to have problem.

What temperature are you printing at, and is it PLA or ABS?

I'd be inclined to try printing hotter and/or thinner layers, and see if that helps your problem.

PLA @ 220C & printer speed is 50mm in cura & again its NOT printing 0.30 layer height.

agree, I am printing with .30 layer height & the rest is default.

PLA @ 220C & printer speed is 50mm in cura & again its NOT printing 0.30 layer height.

So then, what is your layer height? Instead of getting mad at me, or mad at Ultimaker, consider this an interesting problem that can probably be easily fixed.

It *sounds* like you are printing too much volume of PLA per second but maybe not. Please tell us the temperature, the thickness and speed. You may have a nozzle clog or maybe the current to the stepper needs increasing, but you might also just be printing too fast (I know the UM2 can print 300mm/sec just fine but that's at .05mm layer height, not .3mm layer height).

I don't understand why you aren't will to experiment and lower the print speed to 50% to see what happens while you are printing. Or raise the temp to 240C. This is NOT an Ultimaker 1 and so the settings are going to be different. It may be that there is more air hitting the nozzles on the UM2 and you might have to print at higher temps then you expected.

So then, what is your layer height? Instead of getting mad at me, or mad at Ultimaker, consider this an interesting problem that can probably be easily fixed.

It *sounds* like you are printing too much volume of PLA per second but maybe not. Please tell us the temperature, the thickness and speed. You may have a nozzle clog or maybe the current to the stepper needs increasing, but you might also just be printing too fast (I know the UM2 can print 300mm/sec just fine but that's at .05mm layer height, not .3mm layer height).

I don't understand why you aren't will to experiment and lower the print speed to 50% to see what happens while you are printing. Or raise the temp to 240C. This is NOT an Ultimaker 1 and so the settings are going to be different. It may be that there is more air hitting the nozzles on the UM2 and you might have to print at higher temps then you expected.

NO NO gr5,

sorry I didn't mean to sound mad at you or anyone else, really I am sorry & I am not mad at all, just frustrated a bit :)

Okay so printed the full TX & its printed really bad (I mean quality) I will add picture.

now I am saving a gcode for another one but this time at default Cura settings but only0.2 layer height, will report back

Why don't youhttp://mailto:code@fbrc8.com?subject=Troublesome%20Gcode the gcode file that didn't print right, and I'll take a look at the settings?

At higher extrusion speeds you need to slow down the fans a bit, especially at the lower layers. I'm patching up Cura to support this by default, as it is quite important because the new fan setup can cool the nozzle tip quite a bit when the bed is near the nozzle.

(Printing at 0.3mm layers with a 0.4mm nozzle is just stupid btw, there is not a single reason to do this, you get worse layers, and you cannot print any faster then 0.2mm layers, in rates of volume/second)

okay I just mailed the new gcode the one with 0.2 layer since the older I deleted already, maybe you can check that while I try printing from SD card ?!?

Thanx

(Printing at 0.3mm layers with a 0.4mm nozzle is just stupid btw, there is not a single reason to do this, you get worse layers, and you cannot print any faster then 0.2mm layers, in rates of volume/second)

Dhaid please watch your attitude, I am the one having issues & if you don't have anything useful to say than just don't say anything.

illuminarti

I keep getting delivery failed, tried twice now, Rared files..

Recipient address: @fbrc8.com'>code@fbrc8.com

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 <@fbrc8.com'>code@fbrc8.com>: Relay access denied.

Remote system: dns;mx1.emailsrvr.com (mx1.emailsrvr.com ESMTP - VA Code Section 18.2-152.3:1 forbids sending spam through this system)