Best way to reinforce PETG for snap on type application

Oliveros

Posted · Best way to reinforce PETG for snap on type application

I know, but I found you can make support be created with multiple lines if needed to make the parts stronger.

I need to make a support to hang an oil filter relocation adapter. I am sure the item will get hot since it is alum.

looking at this thread, and considering Nylon flexes, I wonder it Polycarbonate would be better (considering nylon is flexible - from what I saw on this thread).

Nylon is flexible if you soak it in water, when it's dry it's not very flexible. 

As long as you are not having Nylon in a wet envoirement, I doubt it'll flex. Kodak 6 is pretty stiff until you soak it in hot water, then if you leave it in an air conditioned room, it slowly returns to it's not wet state and becomes more solid again.

so then, it may not work in an engine bay where it may get wet or exposed to water and our moisture.

maybe I am betting off with Polycarbonate.

Another option might be to make a mould, and cast it with a high-temp material, glass- or fiber-filled, or non-filled, whatever you desire? There do exist high-temp polyurethane and composite materials. You could 3D-print the original model, clean it up until perfect, and then make a silicone mould of it? There are lots of good video-tutorials on Youtube. Search for: moulding and casting

Also, depending on the vibrations and load-spikes, I am not sure a snap-fit mechanism would hold. It surely wouldn't if mounted on a diesel engine block at a rough coldstart. In such a case you might want to provide additional clamps: metal spring clamps, multiple nylon cable binders (but they tend to fail under heavy load), self-locking screws, or similar common automotive clamps? If you could avoid the snap-fit, you have no problems with flexibility requirements for it.

21 hours ago, Oliveros said:

Very true.

Perhaps this would work for you?

https://ht.colorfabb.com/

I'm getting a roll of it tomorrow but that stuff supposedly is not very flexible, wet or dry.

Thanks for sharing that material. I followed you lead and ordered some HT. Apparently you don't  need a harneded nozzle for it - which is great. 

I also did order some nylonX. I wonder how that would do as a front bumper cannard. (Exposure to sun, heat, water if it rains)

Geert2,

Yes, that is an option as well, I have considered it but that'll be a last resort.

Bimnrd

Awesome, I'll be getting mine today so we'll see how it goes.

I personally like Nylon a lot, but from my experience, the water makes it very flexible, at least Kodak 6 nylon, I think their Nylon 12 is much less hygroscopic but I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

There's also carbon fiber reinforced nylon out there, perhaps NylonX is that, I'm not sure.

^yes NylonX is cabon reinforced. UL has a profile for it in cura. I ordered some to try.

I will print something small and see how it holds up.

Cool, I guess we'll see. 

I'm waiting for mine, USPS is taking FOREVER.

So here we go, very similar to PETG. I used Owens idea of hollowing the center and that makes it survive the snap.

I did a seperate post on it but wanted to respond here as well. 

Here's a shot of it.

DSC01526.thumb.JPG.b27c6e1707bfecca6844e5d128058983.JPG

Is that the colorfab HT ?

Yes it is.