BiMNrd

Remove viewing outside of LAN

Posted · Remove viewing outside of LAN

Hi guys, I am at work and have left my printer printing at home.

I was hoping to use the ultimaker app to keep and eye on my printer. Is this not possible while being away?

would it work if I assign an IP to my printer that I can access remotely (like you would with a NAS) ? I was hoping there was some easy p2p connection.

Posted · Remove viewing outside of LAN

No it is currently not possible to view the webcam via the app or the UM cloud.

Assigning an public IP to your printer or put the printer to the internet is a very bad idea! Of course you are then able to view your webcam, but everyone is also able to connect to your printer to abort a print, send a new job, send bad gcode or whatever. So never do that!

Depending on your network router at home you could configure a VPN, then you are able to connect to your VPN at home and view the video stream. For configuring a VPN there are several options, your router is one possibility, but you can also achieve it with an Raspberry PI or something like that. It is too complicated to explain it here, but to point you in the right direction.