Wow out of the box printing

mattkaz

Posted · Wow out of the box printing

Thanks Ultimaker I recieved my UM2 at about 4pm this afternoon and all seems to be well perhaps a little too well. The glass plate did slip during shipping but was hanging on by one clip no damage though. All fans seem to be fine. The heat-sink fan is on all the time even when not printing but the other fans only turn on once the bottom layer is finished as they should. I opted to print the UM robot first but it got about 20% and had an SD card error. Loaded my own prints on the supplied card and so far no probs. I have noted the wires for the lights on the front upper left corner are rubbing but apart from that all is good. No sign of the flexible pla though Sander.

I have noted the wires for the lights on the front upper left corner are rubbing

Fix that before your next print! I saw the same issue at MakerFaire and it will get worse if you don't fix it and you could break those lights. A glue gun should do it. Or tape. And don't try to fix it while printing like I did, lol. :???:

The SD-card read error is a problem noticed on some more printers we are running tests on right now (It slipped trough the initial testing phase). It seems to happen on some, but not all of the printers. When it is happening, it seems to be about 1 every 5 to 10 prints.

There will be a firmware update soon that fixes it, we are running the final tests on it on the printers that showed the problem, but it's looking very good.

First print was the failed UM robot next up was the star in normal mode-I think then the Brio/Duplo brick printed in low quality. A few holes remained in the top of the brick but it was low quality and the train chug over happily. The boys wanted some glow dark stars and these have a few un-adhered areas on the first layer but to say its day one or hour 6 to be precise all is good. Just watch those LED loops in the top corners Daid or Sander or whomever is on the build line.

Can you show photo of un-adhered areas on first layer? You might want to raise the print bed 1/10 of a turn.

Just watch those LED loops in the top corners Daid or Sander or whomever is on the build line.

None of us are. Logistics handles production and shipping. I'm not telling names of UM people who did not identify themselves online publicly before, it is their personal choice if they want to be linked to UM online.

I'm Research&Development, Sander is Sales&Marketing&Support.

And I don't work for Ultimaker at all. I'm a user. Despite what it says over there on the left - I am a moderator for this forum but not an employee of Ultimaker.

Just thought I would let you know don't want any unnecessary shorting out. I tried printing with the lights off as I was using glow in the dark pla but you just got to have the lights on so you can see it all unfold before you.

Thanks gr5 this is my first 3d printer so its all abit new to me wasn't sure if it was to close or too far so did some one the fly leveling to see which way to go. Watch out for the fan shroud catching on the glass clip whilst doing large prints.

Will upload photos when i find out how to. Its all a bit of learning at the minute.

Hi Matthew,

Perhaps the note was not noticed in regard of the flex PLA. I will sort it out tomorrow and get you one asap!

Very pleased to hear you are satisfied with the machine and I am glad that the plate did not cause any damage.

Please keep me posted if you think otherwise in the upcoming time.

And enjoy printing!

If you want to upload photos, you should upload them to your gallery first, and then you can copy them in your posts from your gallery.

Thanks for the tip Sander im too used to drag and drop. BUT it looks like i spoke to soon. My son wanted an owl and liked the usual test piece that everyone prints. So off it went it had been going for over an hour and then the dreaded- Error reading SD card message appeared all he got was a rather good looking bit of stick with a few claws showing. Daid said this error is known about but it seams to be happening all to often any news on a firmware update? My son may only be 2 but I think he was more disappointed than me

aww, that is sad! I heard David saying that he is working on fixing that bug and a new release should follow soon.

Don't know exactly when, but David is a pretty fast guy!

Have you tried printing it again?

literally just happened as I was hyping it up.

Failed Owlwrench SD card fail

Daid, is the SD card error not at qll related to using SDHC cards? We had the error but only when using SDHC cards I think...are they supported?

It came with the printer not sure when HC kicks in I believe it is 2GB im trying an owl at half scale at the minute once finished (fingers crossed) I will have a look.

Any news on the firmware update Daid? I am still waiting to print a decent print over an hour long. I tried a new 1GB SD card this morning and only got 1 and a half layers of a 40mmx40mm calibration box. I really would like the printer to print in 3D and not 2D.

Yes!

Update is on http://software.ultimaker.com/ and comes with the 13.11 Cura release. Install it with the "install default firmware" option. It should fix all known causes of the SD-Card-read-error. The new Cura update also fixes a few other issues, and adds a few minor things.

You can also download this file: https://github.com/daid/Cura/raw/SteamEngine/Cura/resources/firmware/MarlinUltimaker2.hex (richt click->save) and upload it as custom firmware.

thanks for the prompt response Daid, However I think i need to change the title of this topic. I installed the update as instructed but now the fans no longer turn on once the first layer is laid. I let it go for a couple of layers but nothing. I have checked the settings in Cura and all seems as it should be - allow cooling check cool after layer 1 fan 100%. Any ideas? the heat sink fan still works though.

Quite a few people with UM2's had the fan wire come off in shipping. Perhaps yours was at the verge of coming apart. Reportedly it is VERY easy to fix. The open connector is in the print head. There are photos - make sure you look at posting #17 (posting numbers are on the right side of each posting in it's title bar:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3233-ultimaker-2-major-problems/?p=24105

How do i write this in more than one topic?

Apologies go out to Daid there is a new cool option for the fan that ramps it up to 100% at what ever layer you choose. Nice work but looking at the print PLA needs 100% from layer one as i think it was set to five and the base it looking a bit deformed.