S5 Camera... what are we supposed to look at from this angle.

BiMNrd

Posted · S5 Camera... what are we supposed to look at from this angle.

I am sure this has been covered, but unless I am missing the idea here, this camera angle doesn't provide much info does it?  I am wanting to adapt an external camera.

S5 Camera.PNG

You are right, but it's a compromise to see the entire build room.

Personally I would prefer to see the first layers, but on the other side, when I start a print I am usually at the printer.

The camera position is always a problem even if you are using an external camera, you will have to find a compromise. But I can also tell you from my own experience that the constant observation of the camera stops with time. You only have to look if the object is finished or if everything is ok and then the camera angle doesn't really matter.

And in the meantime I prefer the built solution more than external ones, because you have no additional things and cables around your printer.

Posted (edited) · S5 Camera... what are we supposed to look at from this angle.

Well with this angle, you can't even see the first layer.  Oh well. At least you have helped me confirm that this is normal.

Edited by BiMNrd

1 minute ago, BiMNrd said:

Well with this angle, you can even see tge first layer.

Yes, but not very helpful. I would prefer to see the first layer more from the top. But you can't have everything. 🙂

1 minute ago, BiMNrd said:

At least you have helped me confirm that this is normal.

Yes it is...

Another tip, if you're using an external camera, be sure to buy one with a wide-angle lens, everything else won't give you a decent overview.

Watching the current printed layer is the best option, IMHO. However, the depth-of-field of the camera could be better. Even better would be a focussing option.

• Like 1

It would be great if Ultimaker suggested or considered offering a wide angle lens adapter that clips on to the front of the camera. These are pretty inexpensive now.

• Like 2

A few things need to happen and I will do. 

1. The camera needs to be accessible via WAN. P2P? Im going to install a network camera to my printer for this.

2. We need to be able to stop a print remotely.

3. Im going to remake the cameras adapter to aim the camera in what I consider a move usuable angle. I had some new RE software I want to try for this along w my scanner. Should be easy.

I just ordered a long flexible phone holder that clamps on to the table holding the S5.  I purchased an old iPhone for about $75 on eBay.  Then, you can use either free or low cost baby monitoring software to get an excellent view of the print.  I used this with my previous system (Creality CR-10S Pro) and was very disappointed when I learned that the S5 camera was in a position where I can't see the top of the print.  When I get a chance I will probably design and 3d print a small phone holder that can safely clamp on the S5 (with an open top).

how about just redesign and print the houseing for the current camera to angle it downward slighly more?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kayakbabe said:

how about just redesign and print the houseing for the current camera to angle it downward slighly more?

I think an old iphone might have better resolution than the camera in the Ultimaker, and depending on the stream Choclit99 is setting up, it may be of a higher fps too. But as you point out, just as with most problems, multiple solutions exist 🙂

I would also like to mention that this is quite an old thread in the meantime 😉  

Posted (edited) · S5 Camera... what are we supposed to look at from this angle.

The view is even worse if you use a prime blob for the second extruder. Then you have always a perfect prime blob completely blocking the the view.

Have a look at my camera mod. If your instrument is out of warranty or you don't care like me, you can connect an external camera to the ultimaker board instead of the internal one: 

Be aware that the power supply is an open frame version and not shielded and if you do not unplug the printer before taking it apart you could kill yourself.

Edited by mkaj2019