Trouble with Circles on First Layer

Salty_Doug

Posted (edited) · Trouble with Circles on First Layer

I am printing a simple ABS shape, a square with five holes that is 2mm thick. I am printing with a Monoprice MSP printer running the ADV3ii firmware. Both V3 and V4. I am using Cura V4.3.0 to slice the STL file.

Nozzle Temperature:  230 C

Bed temperature:  105 C

Bed is PEI sheet over glass.

The printer is in a box with the ambient temperature at 40 C

When I watch the printer on it's first pass, It does not deposit the filament for the whole circle so that the resulting shapes are a "C" (See attached video & Photo).

I have also attached the GCODE file (zip).

I have changed the retract distance from 1mm to 0mm with no effect.

I think my adhesion is good since I have to use a scraper to get the filament off the PEI sheet. (The PEI is the best for adhesion with ABS as I don't have to use any other glue, hairspray, or black magic )

If anyone has suggestions I am open to try anything.

Here is a link to a video I just uploaded.

IMG_1861.jpeg

Nzl Fn Spcr_ABS-02-Grd-i20-R00.gcode.zip

Edited by Salty_Doug
Misspelled word in Title.

Posted · Trouble with Circles on First Layer

I've seen this many times - it looks to me that your nozzle and your bed are too far apart.  It looks like you have some kind of auto level.  Well it's autoleveling too far from the bed by about 0.1mm.  Can you tell the autolevel to cheat a bit by 0.1mm?

Usually a good autolevel algorithm cheats.  Nominally the nozzle should just touch the bed at Z=0 but a good autolevel will have the nozzle touching glass around Z=0.1 or Z=0.2.  This makes the machine squish the filament a little better.

If you don't believe me you could push up a bit on the glass when it's printing those circles to get more squish - the circles should then be complete.

Also if you don't squish more your parts likely will come loose or at least lift up on the corners.  I have a whole video about this issue.

It looks like the first layer is not sticking well enough to the print bed, this might be an auto leveling issue or your bed is 'to' clean/smooth, which causes the plastic to seperate from the build plate when the nozzle is moving away from the lines being printed.

I've experienced this same issue with my old 3D printer (glass bed instead of PEI), nowadays I use a coating of hair spray or dima fix/3D lac to prevent this and to make sure that the top surface of the bed is sticky enough for the filament to adhere to the surface.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Salty_Doug said:

I don't have auto-level enabled. 

good!  I don't like auto-level much.  So just move the bed and nozzle closer together a little bit.  I usually adjust on the fly on the first layer if things are off.  For example when I change nozzles and start a print it might print a little high or low and I just turn the 3 leveling screws that support my bed on the fly in the first few seconds.  I don't know if your printer has leveling screws.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to the community today because I've encountered an issue with Cura that's been giving me a bit of trouble, and I'm hoping some of you might have some insights or solutions.

I've been a longtime user of Cura for my 3D printing projects, and it has always worked wonderfully for me. However, I recently updated to version 5.4, and I've noticed an unusual problem. It seems that on certain models, Cura is not closing shapes properly on all layers.

For instance, when printing circular shapes or other closed geometries, I've observed that on some layers, the top surface of the shape is not being fully enclosed. It's as if the slicing process is leaving small gaps or holes on these layers. This issue results in an incomplete print that doesn't meet the quality standards I'm aiming for.

I've double-checked my 3D model, and there don't appear to be any issues with it. This leads me to believe that the problem lies within Cura itself, perhaps related to some settings I need to adjust.

Yes, this is a known bug in cura 5.4.  Definitely go back to cura 5.3 for now.  Although I think there is a hack if you mess with maximum resolution setting you can get it to slice properly.  Initially try 0.5mm.  I'm not sure if you need smaller values or larger values to fix the slicing bug.  Should be fixed in the next version.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:52 AM, gr5 said:

good!  I don't like auto-level much.  So just move the bed and nozzle closer together a little bit.

Awww, I thought we were becoming friends. I do like auto level, partially because every person seems to have a different idea of how far apart the bed and nozzle should be.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to the community today because I've encountered an issue with Cura that's been giving me a bit of trouble, and I'm hoping some of you might have some insights or solutions.

I've been a longtime user of Cura for my 3D printing projects, and it has always worked wonderfully for me. However, I recently updated to version 5.4, and I've noticed an unusual problem. It seems that on certain models, Cura is not closing shapes properly on all layers.

For instance, when printing circular shapes or other closed geometries, I've observed that on some layers, the top surface of the shape is not being fully enclosed. It's as if the slicing process is leaving small gaps or holes on these layers. This issue results in an incomplete print that doesn't meet the quality standards I'm aiming for.

I've double-checked my 3D model, and there don't appear to be any issues with it. This leads me to believe that the problem lies within Cura itself, perhaps related to some settings I need to adjust.

??  Are you a bot?  Answer is above.

No of course not. Why do you ask? It seems that I am not the only one having the problem.  I am reaching out for help and I get your response. 

Disappointed!