Tension Spring

librarian

Posted · Tension Spring

I have an Ultimaker 2+ which had stopped feeding, so I disassembled the feeder to clean it out, and now I am finding that the tension spring refuses to re-tension. As far as I can tell it looks exactly like the pictures in the assembly instructions say it should, except that when I close it back up and go to tighten the tension screw, the screw will go down into the nut but this does not have the effect of tightening the spring. The nut isn't stripped, and it was at the correct tension mark when I disassembled it. The ledge at the bottom of the spot for the tension screw is deformed slightly as though the screw has been pressing into it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what this could be/things I can try to fix it?

Posted · Tension Spring

Please show a photo of before you close it.

There should be quite a bit of tension on the spring before you put the 2 halves together.

The screw head should be *below* the wall.  In other words when fully assembled, the hex driver needs to pass through a plastic hole in the feeder before it's possible to touch the screw head.

Posted · Tension Spring

Here's a picture. It's below the *outer* wall, and yes, I have done that and the hex driver does pass through the plastic hole; I was talking about the small wall underneath the screw inside the feeder.

20191017_195411.jpg

Posted · Tension Spring

Assembly looks good in my eyes, but the screw is too far screwed in.
    Remember that that you have to "unscrew" it to increase the tension - screw counter clockwise until the screw-head touches the inner wall of the housing and then a bit farther.
    You'll clearly see how it works, if you do so.

BTW: which instructions are you referring to?

The pictures and instructions from fbrc8 are very accurate IMHO.

https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004264626-Feeder-Reassembly-UM2-UM3-

Posted · Tension Spring

That is, in fact, the instructions I was referring to, but you do seem to have hit on the problem; I was screwing it in the wrong direction and so it was tightening all the way but not getting tense-- it seems to be reassembled now; thank you!