Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)

mrtinfy

Posted · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)

I know this is a known issue with Cura and i think i know why would not open, in the folder of cura there is a installer for Microsoft c++ 2015 redistributable, The thing is i'm not completely sure if this is the reason why, but i hope the community could help many of us not being able to use this outstanding software. If you go to control panel, there is a lot of versions of Microsoft c++ redistributables installed that comes with windows (at least in my case) i have these: 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2017 versions, but i dont have the 2015 version that cura comes with, the 2015 version, but if i try to install it it doesnt let me because i have already a newer version of it (2017) The thing is that this may be the reason why many of us cant open cura but i need some help to figure it out. cura 4.3 only worked once with compatibility settings but now it just wont open (i get the splash screen then a window shows up for a second and it auto closes). Cura haven't patch the issue nor help anyone at all for what i have read in the forum. Can anyone whos pc runs cura with no issues tell me what versions of Microsoft c++ redistributable have install on their pcs? What i think is that people who had older versions of it, cura automatically install the 2015 version that it needs to run and that's why some people doesnt have this issue. I hope you guys can help... Thanks in advance!

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

I have the exact same symoms as you, so I tried running the vcredist_64 to see if it would install. It only offered me the options to uninstall or repair, so it must have been installed already. I tried the repair option which completed successfully. But the problem with the blank windows that crashes after a few seconds is still the same. So I guess that symptom has many root causes unfortunately.

it shouldn't, did you uninstall all newer versions of microsoft c++? each version has a x64 and x86 versions, so you should uninstall both version for the same year, then restart your pc, then install vcredist_64

for me, i had to uninstall: Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x64 and Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x86

make sure to uninstall any version newer than the 2015 that cura includes on its folder.

Posted (edited) · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)
    On 10/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, reibuehl said:

And then how do I reinstall all the other versions that who-knows-what software needs to function?

you can get the latest (2019 that replaces both 2015 and 2017) here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

this note is included on that support page:

Note Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 all share the same redistributable files.

For example, installing the Visual C++ 2019 redistributable will affect programs built with Visual C++ 2015 and 2017 also. However, installing the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable will not replace the newer versions of the files installed by the Visual C++ 2017 and 2019 redistributables.

This is different from all previous Visual C++ versions, as they each had their own distinct runtime files, not shared with other versions.

From another thread, it seems like some installer programs check for the existence of 2015 incorrectly and thus fail when that specific redist is not found even though the later versions fully replace it.

Edited by johnse
    Pasted wrong link
    • Like 2

Posted (edited) · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)
    On 10/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, mrtinfy said:

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me! 😕 This is exactly what I did. 

1. I uninstalled the 2017 and 2018 Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable. 
    2. Installed the 2015 which is included in the *.exe Cura installation directory 
    3. Restarted my pc 
    4. When ready, I attempted to start Cura again, I got in the same 'cura won't start' scenario immediately. 

@mrtinfy when you did the steps above, did Cura consistently start for you all the time?

Edited by territerriterri

I also installed the 2019 MVCR, and I still get the same behavior. 

Cura does start eventually, but only after multiple tries of attempting to start it. 

it works consistently for me. Each distributable has 2 versions! x64 and x86. make sure you uninstall all 4. Go to control panel>uninstall a program> then look for any version of microsoft c++ newer than the 2015 and uninstall, after that just to be sure restart your pc, then install the 2015 version and restart again, cura should not have any issues after that it worked on my laptop as well. let me know if it works!

On 10/18/2019 at 12:21 PM, mrtinfy said:

it shouldn't, did you uninstall all newer versions of microsoft c++? each version has a x64 and x86 versions, so you should uninstall both version for the same year, then restart your pc, then install vcredist_64

for me, i had to uninstall: Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x64 and Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x86

make sure to uninstall any version newer than the 2015 that cura includes on its folder.

im going through the SAME thing. anyone fixed this issue yet?

The new version of cura works fine now for me

Its still not working for me at all.

I solved the problem on my laptop by upgrading to the latest graphics drivers from Intel (newer than the ones from the laptop vendor who doesn't update them anymore).

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I have stumbled onto  a fix for my Cura issues and wanted to share this in case it solves this for others too.

I have an Ender 3 Pro - Purchased new at beginning of December 2020 – Not sure of board version, it does not appear to have the quiet stepper motors.

My computer is a Dell M4660 laptop with a Quadro 2000M graphics card, my operating system is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

Neither Cura 4.8 OR the Creality would work both would hang on the empty screen, although on some occasions the Cura software would get to the third page for ‘getting started’ before terminating.

The Creality fix   - Navigate to folder with Creality slicer software. Right Click on the Creality icon and select Properties, Run with graphics processor, select Integrated Graphics.

This has worked consistently for all modes of the software.

Cura Fix – Having unsuccessfully tried lots of solutions posted online, I installed the Prontaface/Slic3r combination ( I had previously used this to great success with my Reprap Huxley and was pretty impressed by how flexible this build is  18Nov2017. Today I accidently loaded the Cura software and found that it loaded ‘flawlessly’. I have tried many options in the software (version 4.8.0) and simply put it works.

To test this theory, I shut down the PC rebooted and loaded Cura, as before it works.  This is the only change to my system and having checked I cannot see any Windows updates in the last 24 hours so am discounting that as the cure.

Hope this helps.

Tropical T

... so the driver of the Quadro 2000M graphic card is your problem... Installed the latest version?

Hi Mari, 

Its an odd one. I installed windows 10 Pro a week ago. I didn't install any native Quadro drivers.

I will look these today but note that whatever came with Prontaface cured my issue.

... not installing drivers for graphic-card and then wondering things don't work? Microsoft is installing "default" drivers... just coincidence that things worked after installing other software...

When I installed Freecad v.19 it would crash after the splash screen. Their website suggested updating all the drivers. I did that and it worked, but now Cura 4.9 crashed when loading as seen above. I tried everything listed here, but nothing worked. Then I disabled Windows Defender,  and this time when Cura crashed, I got a driver failure error. It was the graphics driver, newly updated through Windows Update. I have a Radon R6 graphics card, so I went to their website and lo and behold there was a new beta driver for my card. I installed that and Cura now loads fine and works great.  Cura 4.10 also works now too. I hope this helps anyone out there still having this problem.

• Thanks 1

i had uninstall the version 4.11.1 and opened the version 4.9.1 and it worked 

Hi this is the problem I face very hard to find and i couldn't fix this issue more than a mouth. I'm Using Rog 3090 RTX 24 GB graphic  card with windows 10 then. I checked graphic  card running several benchmark test, but  I couldn't  find what is the problem, some times cura open and work, but some times it's not worked, cura not given any massage despaired from startup, one day  I had same problem in substance painter software then I remove Nvidia Graphic  Driver after  used only default  Microsoft driver , after that I see  cure is working and I re install driver then after not working cure and substanice painter agin , after that i removed  Graphic card monitoring Software's "ASUS GPU Tweak II" and " GPU-Z" after that Cura waking fine no problem after that.

1. Please use correct Graphic card Driver 

2. Remove ALL applications always using (Monitoring) Graphic cards Details 

gpu_tweak_free_gpu_monitoring_software_full-1.jpg

kx3ewc7wcdtujwqpmfld.png

• Like 2