mrtinfy

Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)

Posted · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)

I know this is a known issue with Cura and i think i know why would not open, in the folder of cura there is a installer for Microsoft c++ 2015 redistributable, The thing is i'm not completely sure if this is the reason why, but i hope the community could help many of us not being able to use this outstanding software. If you go to control panel, there is a lot of versions of Microsoft c++ redistributables installed that comes with windows (at least in my case) i have these: 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2017 versions, but i dont have the 2015 version that cura comes with, the 2015 version, but if i try to install it it doesnt let me because i have already a newer version of it (2017) The thing is that this may be the reason why many of us cant open cura but i need some help to figure it out. cura 4.3 only worked once with compatibility settings but now it just wont open (i get the splash screen then a window shows up for a second and it auto closes). Cura haven't patch the issue nor help anyone at all for what i have read in the forum. Can anyone whos pc runs cura with no issues tell me what versions of Microsoft c++ redistributable have install on their pcs? What i think is that people who had older versions of it, cura automatically install the 2015 version that it needs to run and that's why some people doesnt have this issue. I hope you guys can help... Thanks in advance!

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

And then how do I reinstall all the other versions that who-knows-what software needs to function?

I have the exact same symoms as you, so I tried running the vcredist_64 to see if it would install. It only offered me the options to uninstall or repair, so it must have been installed already. I tried the repair option which completed successfully. But the problem with the blank windows that crashes after a few seconds is still the same. So I guess that symptom has many root causes unfortunately.

it shouldn't, did you uninstall all newer versions of microsoft c++? each version has a x64 and x86 versions, so you should uninstall both version for the same year, then restart your pc, then install vcredist_64

for me, i had to uninstall: Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x64 and Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x86

make sure to uninstall any version newer than the 2015 that cura includes on its folder.

Posted (edited) · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)
On 10/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, reibuehl said:

And then how do I reinstall all the other versions that who-knows-what software needs to function?

you can get the latest (2019 that replaces both 2015 and 2017) here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

this note is included on that support page:

Note Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 all share the same redistributable files.

For example, installing the Visual C++ 2019 redistributable will affect programs built with Visual C++ 2015 and 2017 also. However, installing the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable will not replace the newer versions of the files installed by the Visual C++ 2017 and 2019 redistributables.

This is different from all previous Visual C++ versions, as they each had their own distinct runtime files, not shared with other versions.

From another thread, it seems like some installer programs check for the existence of 2015 incorrectly and thus fail when that specific redist is not found even though the later versions fully replace it.

Edited by johnse
Pasted wrong link
  • Like 2

Posted (edited) · Cura won't open in windows 10? (I May have a solution)
On 10/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, mrtinfy said:

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me! 😕 This is exactly what I did. 

1. I uninstalled the 2017 and 2018 Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable. 
  2. Installed the 2015 which is included in the *.exe Cura installation directory 
  3. Restarted my pc 
  4. When ready, I attempted to start Cura again, I got in the same 'cura won't start' scenario immediately. 

@mrtinfy when you did the steps above, did Cura consistently start for you all the time?

Edited by territerriterri

I also installed the 2019 MVCR, and I still get the same behavior. 

Cura does start eventually, but only after multiple tries of attempting to start it. 

it works consistently for me. Each distributable has 2 versions! x64 and x86. make sure you uninstall all 4. Go to control panel>uninstall a program> then look for any version of microsoft c++ newer than the 2015 and uninstall, after that just to be sure restart your pc, then install the 2015 version and restart again, cura should not have any issues after that it worked on my laptop as well. let me know if it works!