Getting a cross section without a first layer?

Photog1

Posted · Getting a cross section without a first layer?

How do I get a cross section of an object without a first layer?  I want to show the internal structure of the infill.  If I merely slice the object in half with the Z-plane, the portion remaining behind always prints the bottom layer as a wall, so you can't see into it.  Same thing if I slice it in my CAD program and deliver the .stl to Cura either right side up or cut side down... it always prints a wall.  I know there must be a setting to dio this, but I can't figure out which one.  My only solution has been to start printing the full object, then stopping the print halfway through before it gets a chance to finish, thus leaving the top open.  Not a clean way to do it, and I have to remember to be around when its time to stop the dang thing

just above the settings you can search through all the settings.  Search for "bottom" and make sure these two are zero:

bottom layers

bottom thickness

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.  Printing now.  1 week nooob at 3D printing, learning my brand spankin' new CR10 v2.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

just above the settings you can search through all the settings.  Search for "bottom" and make sure these two are zero:

bottom layers

bottom thickness

"give it a shot"?????

You should know about "preview" mode at the top center of cura.  In preview mode you can see what your printer will be doing and you can see if a setting in cura has properly taken place.  Use the slider on the right side to view the bottom few layers to see if infill will be visible or if the bottom layers will be sealed.

Never print something without checking it in preview first.

Posted (edited) · Getting a cross section without a first layer?
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

"give it a shot"?????

Yes, "give it a shot." I've found that many times advice given over forums is not always perfectly accurate, so I will (did) "give it a shot" to determine if it is correct.  Nothing against you, but I've been online since ARPANET, long before "the internet," and certainly loooong before  most people had even HEARD of "online" -  online advice is cheap, and often wrong.  Sometimes it an incorrect knowledge base of the advisor, sometimes its misunderstanding the question or the requirements.

You should know about "preview" mode at the top center of cura.  In preview mode you can see what your printer will be doing and you can see if a setting in cura has properly taken place.  Use the slider on the right side to view the bottom few layers to see if infill will be visible or if the bottom layers will be sealed.

I do know about preview mode and use it virtually every time I slice a model.

Never print something without checking it in preview first.

Edited by Photog1

I thought "give it a shot" possibly meant you were going to just print it blindly.  I'm glad you know about preview mode.