Ultimaker² lead time update

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker² lead time update

i wonder what the magic number is ??

I mean.. if you had orders just an ultimaker 2 without filament or anything else.. would that allow your printer to fly under the tax ?

I guess you would have to ask DHL ?

Ian :-)

• Replies 588
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder what the magic number is ??

I mean.. if you had orders just an ultimaker 2 without filament or anything else.. would that allow your printer to fly under the tax ?

I guess you would have to ask DHL ?

Ian :smile:

I'll let you know when I get mine, my order is a U2 without any extra adds. I wanted to order extra filament but decided that it might bump me into extra customs charges territory, its a shame it has to work this way.

$2500 seems to be around the threshold. I filled out the form on dutycalculator.com for a $2400 printer with $150 shipping and $50 insurance and duty was $0. I upped to $2600 printer and got $25 duty. I went back to $2400 but added seperate $200 worth of filament and I got $13 duty.

So excluding filament from an order to USA can save you duty. The fluctuation of the euro seems to be causing some people to pay duty and other's not.

edit: or maybe if I had done 4 orders of $50 filament it would have been $0 duty - I'll try that now.

further edit: It won't let me do that so I don't know the answer.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT GOTTEN THEIR UM2 YET!!!

When you get your UM2, the glass bed may be *under* the print bed. To get to it, simply grab the Z screw in the back (with power off) and rotate it so that the bed rises up until you can slide out the glass (wrapped in protecting bubble wrap of course).

Do not do this if you don't have easy access to soap and water because the Z screw is very greasy and you will need to clean your hand before you do anything else.

If you don't have access to soap and water but manage to get your hands on a small piece of tissue paper (or a work glove if you want to get fancy) you can avoid the mess entirely ;)

would there be a problem with simply putting your hands at the back of the print bed and carefully lifting it up ?

then no oily fingers ? ;-)

You can do that as well but it might be a bit scary for new owners as it takes a bit of force. I usually mention that possibility but sometimes I worry that someone might grab the bed at the front and maybe, possibly, in a worst case scenario, cause damage by bending the bed.

ok then ill say it this way....

NEW USER !!! :-)

TAKE BOTH YOUR GOD LIKE HANDS AND HOLD GENTLY LIKE A NEW LOVER THE BACK OF YOUR PRINT BED.

THEN....

WITH EVEN GRADUAL POWER; LIFT UP EVER SO SLOWLY THE BED ... BUT ALWAYS FROM THE BACK

;-) LOL

LOL Ian, you should write the UM2 manual!

Ian, your explanation ins perfect. :-)

However I managed to get to my glass bed which was also under the print bed in a different way:

I switched the machine on, went through the first startup procedure and after step 4/21 the glass bed was accessable without any problems. I removed the foil and placed it carfully on the printbed.

No soap necessary.

This all was done with my BOTH GOD LIKE HANDS. :-) :-) :-)

Sigi

and, sorry I forgot: I am also a NEW LOVER :-) :-). :-)

Sigi

HEHEHEHE ;-) LOL

So close . . . yet . . .

My printer arrived. No bill as of yet from DHL.

No glass plate either. I'm majorly bummed!! I raised the bed and looked through everything 3 times. I took the day off I was so excited. I guess its time for beer.

I will send Sander a PM. In the mean time, what should I try to get from a local glass shop, or is it even possible to get the right thing from a local vendor?

Or is it possible/advisable to print without the plate. Maybe on tape with the bed heat turned off.

While it might be possible to print without the glass plate, I really wouldn't recommend it. There would be more chance of the head catching on the clips for the glass plate, and you'd just risk damaging the metal plate - and the results just wouldn't be as good.

Rather than PM'ing Sander (or in addition) you should also open a support ticket at support.ultimaker.com. Bear in mind that it's late night in the Netherlands now, so it'll be tomorrow (at best) before you get a response.

I would let me make a glass plate. If you have experience with a glass cutter, then you cut a glass plate with 4mm x 230mm x 255mm. It does not hurt to have a second glass plate. So you can wait in peace for your glass from Ultimaker.

Markus

Yes!! :D My UM2 is on the move! Ordered Nov 22th, just received the confirmation the printer has been shipped. Fortunately for me, shipment will probably only take a day, so I expect my UM2 tomorrow on the doorstep. Think I'll set my alarm at 07:00 to wait at the front door... :-P

Hello. I got my printer, but it's lacking 4 PLA rolls, when should I be expecting them to arrive?

My order is R782440140

Hi Hector, you should have received a note in your package that at the time of your dispatch we didn't have all colors on stock.

If it is ok with you we will ship all remaining colors when they are back in stock.

Is this OK with you?

I will have a colleague from support contact you to sort out the details, thank you for your time!

@schafe - yes - order this glass from your local glass cutter. They will do it for very little money and they will grind the edges so they aren't sharp. mnis posted dimensions above.

It's ordinary glass I believe. It's not pyrex - it's normal glass. But very thick (4mm).

I have no idea if the original glass is something special. But I have an extra glass with dimensions: 4mm x 230mm x 255mm; gifted. The glass is one-sided satin finish (frosted for experimental), the other side is smooth. Something more accurately would be the following dimensions: 4mm x230mm x257mm. But the 2mm difference is negligible, while the plate is properly seated and in the non-printable area to the left and right are missing each 1mm. Both sides of the new glass plate, have their pro's and con's. A good idea is, for example, a plate for PLA and a Kapton decals applied for ABS. On the satin side of my glass Kapton liable not as strong, thus it can be stuck somewhat smoother. Fine bubbles can be easily pushed out, without washing up liquid and water.

Markus

Yes! A beautiful sunrise this morning, and DHL on my doorstep. This day couldn't be better! Waited a long time, but worth it. :smile:

Installed the printer, going through the setup and almost ready for my first print.

As a reference for the guys still waiting for their UM2: Ordered Nov 22th, received Jan 27th. So 9,5 weeks in total. I'm sure the team will do their very best to decrease the time. But I'm glad I waited for the UM2 and did not switch to another brand.

20140127_101713.jpg20140127_101745.jpg

yipppeee :-)

have lots of fun with this amazing 3d printer !!

Ian :)

I got the glass plate today from DHL. Still no bill for import tax. Until the plate arrived I had been using a 1/4 inch sheet of aluminum with blue masking tape that I modified to work with the clips. I actually think I will leave the aluminum plate in place as I have had good results so far.

So what`s the current lead time standing at for UK delivery ?

Did anyone pay for Ultimaker 2 by bank transfer? After what time on your account did it show payment cleared?