Anyone tried metal filaments ?

Link

Posted · Anyone tried metal filaments ?

I see a few places are selling metal infused filaments, Colorfab for example do a copper and a steel infused filament. 

I am thinking about give them a try on my S5, has anyone tried them ?

I am assuming the CC ruby nozzle will be ok and also the standard hardend extruder the S5 has should be good to go ?

Cheers

On 11/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, Link said:

Thanks, just checked the price of the CC core !, over £320 !, ouch, that's expensive!, I am sure it used to be less than this ?!

it was always just below 300 euro i think. Probably the effect of the pound not doing to well.....

ok, so have tried ColorFabb metal fill, Steel, Copper and Bronze on my S5 using the CC core

In terms of printing it prints fine, not quite as easy as straight PLA, prints pretty much like a wood-fill, so if you have a profile for that you are pretty much there. Retractions are a challenge, but still doable, just the usual light deposits where the material oozes slightly, but again nothing major

the biggest issues is getting the advertised finish, the Copper for example is pretty much just orange, pla with Copper in it, which is fine, one of the recommended methods to make it much more copper-like is to sand then polish, i have tried this and it still looks like orange(ish) pla with a slight shine. According the Colorfabb wire wool then polish is the way to go, so i am going to try that. But at the moment the part doesn't look like i had hoped. 

What does surprise is the weight of the part, its really heavy, feels like metal in terms of mass.... i just need to get the finish and then I would recommend. Not tried the finishing on the steel yet, i assume that will need the same finishing method once i perfect it...

Wire wool coming today

• Like 1