sergio_101

Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem

Posted · Looking for CAD professional to help solve problem

We are looking for help in solving a persistent problem with 3D printing. Our client delivers an IGS file. All current IGS to STL file translators generate files that Cura thinks are unprintable due to the generated file not consisting of one solid object, but several distinct objects.

We are looking for someone to instruct us consistently convert these files to printable files.

Can your customer provide .OBJ files? Cura supports it.

Hi sergio_101, 

the most efficient solution would be, if your client would provide an different standard file type as step, .obj (as Oliveros said), or some other "solid" file-type, which you are converting to .stl by yourself.

Second way i.m.O. is a "rework" of the .igs-files in the way that you fill the shell-modell with a CAD-Software (way more time-consuming solution). Most CAD-Softwares having a feature implemented, which enables with using just one feature that "filling-operation" (e.g. CATIA V5 -> Close Surface).

BR

FALSF

Yeah, converting files and moving it into different softwares CAN mess up the file at times, it would be easier if the source is the correct file type and would also give it the best chance of being accurate.

I don't know of a 3D modeling program that can't export in an .Obj or .STL file.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, Oliveros said:

Can your customer provide .OBJ files? Cura supports it.

I'll have to check. Our client is not very technical, and we're  trying to keep them from having to get too deeply involved.

9 hours ago, FALSF said:

Second way i.m.O. is a "rework" of the .igs-files in the way that you fill the shell-modell with a CAD-Software (way more time-consuming solution). Most CAD-Softwares having a feature implemented, which enables with using just one feature that "filling-operation" (e.g. CATIA V5 -> Close Surface).

yes, we're looking at avoiding that also.. or maybe just an automated version of doing just that.. 

48 minutes ago, johnse said:

You could try running the STL file through http://service.netfabb.com 

It’s a free service that just requires registration.

Thanks! I am gonna try this.. 

Sketchup will export .Obj

That's what I currently use.

5 hours ago, Oliveros said:

Sketchup will export .Obj

That's what I currently use.

.obj isn't the issue.  It sounds like having a solid (aka manifold) part is the issue.  And most CAD programs don't really let you create non-solids.  But sketchup does and one or two other do.  Most don't.  And sketchup is very popular.  So if the customer is using sketchup he should read how to make solid parts in sketchup - very good article.  I strongly recommend it if you use sketchup.  You can skim the whole article in about a minute.