Ultimaker S5 says filament has run out but it hasn't

weaverj

Posted · Ultimaker S5 says filament has run out but it hasn't

Our S5 was in the middle of a print when it stopped with the message that says one of the filaments is out, and to put a new one in.  However, there's still plenty on both reels.   One is PVA and the other PLA.   

I simply pressed "ok", and it started printing again.    What could cause this ?

Thanks

It happens sometimes with PVA that you get an false alert. Could also happen if your PVA is not dry enough and is a little bit sticky or weak. I would not worry about it if it is not too often.

I've already ran into same issue. In my case the nozle was slighlty clogged and only around 75% of material was flowing (line width got smaller then). I did not realized on the spot whyt the printer always stopped with that alarm so I clean the nozzle and it jsut then That i realized that the printer was not printing 100% line width. Just make a check if it is yor case.

32 minutes ago, weaverj said:

Do you mean disable "Flow Sensor" ?

Yes, I also had to deactivate it completely once, because it occurred again and again. Then it was activated again and it did not occur again until now.

Ever since they fixed the flow sensor code, I've only gotten this warning when there was, in fact, and extrusion problem. At least a couple of times I've been all "oh you S5, you gone dumb again" but then it turned out that yah, a partial clog at least has happened. Make sure you check very carefully. Under the old firmware (a while back) I got false alerts a lot, especially with PVA or clear filament.

Part blocked nozzle, slipping feeder (adjust to right tension), Wet PVA are all things to check. Also you can know what spool it is its warning you about by looking to see if the right nozzle is down or up, if its down then it's that nozzle/spool, if its up then it's the left side.

So if its the PVA and personally if i start to get the warning (happens sometimes) I dry my PVA out and clean my nozzle and feeder and all in good again in the world. Much better than a failed print because you have turned the warning  (flow sensor) off and it kept printing with no filament of limited filament coming out.

I  turned the flow sensor off and ran the print overnight,  sure enough I could see in the morning a problem with the PVA.  It's still running now, and has another 4 hours to go.  The PVA is stringing all over the place, and I'm sure its because of humidity.  The reel has been sitting open for a week mounted to the back of the printer.    I think the print will be OK, but still,   real extra care has to be taken with the PVA to prevent this.  I didn't realize it would be so sensitive to humidity. 

Should standard procedure be to unmount the reel every day and store in a bag with the moisture absorbant?   

2 hours ago, weaverj said:

real extra care has to be taken with the PVA to prevent this.  I didn't realize it would be so sensitive to humidity. 

It is really very sensitive, a few hours in hot summer can be enough the "destroy" the PVA spool. So depending on your area and how much humidity you have, you should consider buying a dry box, like Polybox to keep the spool dry also during printing.

In any case you should not leave the spool on the printer, always put it in a air tight bag or box with some silica gel packs.

I use round Lock&Lock boxes but you can also use a simple bag, it doesn't matter.

can the spool be dried out somehow or is it not recoverable once exposed to moisture?

I just read the directions and it says yes the moisture can be driven from the PVA.   I'll just follow directions and see what happens.

Yes it works great, just put the spool on the heated bed over night, cover it with a towel and it should be fine again.

But it is important to leave it several hours there, just 2-3 hours are not enough.

I'm having the same problem.  Needle did not work.  Is there a way to do the atomic method without having to abort the print?  The buttons are greyed out that will allow me to set the temp, and other buttons also.