S5 Underextrusion

CTotten

Posted · S5 Underextrusion
16 hours ago, CTotten said:

OK, one last post today on what I have checked:

For the S5 print, 29.5cm was feed into the machine.

For the 3E print, only 26.25cm was feed into the machine.

Did you also weigh the final parts, to be absolutely sure about how much filament was used to produce each part? Might be a good check too.

46 minutes ago, SandervG said:

@CTotten, can you share a .3mf file with me so we can run a comparison test in-house? 

Sander:

This is the 1" x 1" x 0.125" box that I did the last tests on to see how much filament was sent through the machines.  Please note that the parts were pretty small, so it was hard to see each layer as it was being printed (hidden by the print head).  Also, the gaps on the first layer (3E part) are not as noticable, but they are there, and also visible on the top layer.

The original part that I was doing most of my testing with (flow rate changes, versions of Cura, etc) is basically a 2" x 3" box (about 1" tall).  I can share that one as well, if you like.  As I said, I was aborting about half way through layer 3 just so I could observe and visually compare layers 1, 2, and 3 between trials. 

Test.3MF

19 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Did you also weigh the final parts, to be absolutely sure about how much filament was used to produce each part? Might be a good check too.

I tried, but my scale does not read out below a gram.  As these parts are pretty small, they both read out at 2 grams.

5 minutes ago, SandervG said:

I would suggest to use the model that is most descriptive for your issue. If it is this one, we would happily use it. Shall we use this test cube, or do you have a better model? 

This is the part most of my testing was done with. 

Tray.3MF

Hi!

Was this issue resolved?

I'm having a related problem here..

When I print with Cura default profile Visual 0.15mm all my prints are perfect, even with the 70mm/s speed, but as soon I try to change to an thicker layer height all goes wrong.

I tried to reduce a lot the speed (40mm/s) and increase the flow rate (150%) but the prints just fail due to under extrusion. The printer gets the same old "some material appears to be missing" error and it's a crucial error, because after that error all layers in the gap where the error happened will delaminate..

I would like to print some tests in less time that's why I wanted the 0.2 layer height, but due to the decrease of the velocity to try to overcome the under extrusion (with no success) it gets even more printing time..

I have both 0.4AA heads btw and both show the same behavior..

Thanks!

Printing with 0.2 should be no problem at all, so if you get under extrusion you have a different problem. Which material do you print? Do you print single your dual?

I would first try to print with a default profile without changing anything.

Do you print with PVA too? Do you use the BB core for PVA? Is you PVA material dry or is it soft and sticky?

Have you cleaned your print cores with hot/cold pulls as described on the UM website?

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Printing with 0.2 should be no problem at all, so if you get under extrusion you have a different problem. Which material do you print? Do you print single your dual?

I would first try to print with a default profile without changing anything.

Do you print with PVA too? Do you use the BB core for PVA? Is you PVA material dry or is it soft and sticky?

Have you cleaned your print cores with hot/cold pulls as described on the UM website?

Hi!

I'm printing with normal PLA and this is happening with both extruders. Doesn't matter if I do a 2 print core job or not, the problem sustains in both works..

I tried to use the "Default Fast 0.2mm" or the "Draft 0.2mm" without changing anything on the profiles but the problem sustains..

I didn't tried PVA in a looong time. I'm using AA0.4 for PLA and other materials, except if I want to print with PVA I would change to the BB0.4 print core :)

I cleaned all the print cores with hot/cold pulls with cleaning fillament.

Weird is that everything is perfect if I print at 0.15 or below, higher layer heights gets under extrusion and makes the printer fails and get the "material appears to be missing" error.

Thanks!

Strange....

Have you tried to print with the right extruder too? Because maybe your feeder or Bowden tube has a problem and when you print with the other one it is an easy test.

When you see the under extrusion is it a simple test object or something more complicated?

Which print temperature do you use, default?

Printing at 150% flow make things fail fast as you will grind up the filament.  Never go above 110% flow for PLA.  Unless you are doing something very unusual like trying to make it fail.

Have you printed much CF?  CF can potentially degrade the feeder.

I guess I would test the feeder first.  Slide the material so it is half way down the bowden.  With the MOVE command on the S5 you can energize the extruder motor.  Fight the motor by pulling down on the filament.  If it can hold 5kg/10 pounds force then it is fine.  A brand new S5 can do about 15 pounds.  Even just 5 pounds is good enough for most printing.  If the filament slips at 5 pounds then the problem is your feeder.

Also try printing in the right slow to utilize a different feeder.

If all that works fine then it must be your cores.  Try getting a new one.  They aren't free but cheap compared to the cost of filament.

If you are trying to scale up production (speed things up on your printer), try a 0.6 nozzle (from 3dsolex) or a 0.8mm nozzle.  I use these often and the reduced quality is pretty minor.  the 0.6 can print double the volume.  The 0.8 can print 4X the volume.

One more thing - try printing at half speed in the TUNE menu on the S5.  But never increase flow above 110%.

Calculate your printing volume.  With 0.4mm core, a new printer can print 10 cubic mm per second.  With an old printer you should be able to do at least 5 cubic mm per second.

Hi everyone,

This printer is from my company and I got to use it for a while now. I recently discovered that the screws that create tension in the feeder where misplaced, making both feeders to have the tension indicator at the top..

As soon as I fixed the screw and placed the tension indicator at the middle I printed a test object at 0.3mm layer height and the print was successful 🙂

I'm going to try a bigger print tomorrow at 0.25 and see how it goes!

Thank you for your suggestions!

• Like 1

I didn't expect that!  I mean I think it's on my list of 30 possible problems but that's pretty rare.  

And there it was the problem!

I printed 2 tests: 0.2 and 0.3 layer height, and everything worked great!

Thanks everyone!

I am having similar issues with my S5. Would you happen to have any photos that would show the problem with the screws? 

• Like 1

Hi Bobkelley22,

You still having the same issues? Sorry for taking so long...

On 1/15/2021 at 3:01 PM, bobkelley22 said:

I am having similar issues with my S5. Would you happen to have any photos that would show the problem with the screws?