Print Profiles not supported cura 4.4

RyanParle

Posted · Print Profiles not supported cura 4.4
32 minutes ago, MarcusWolschon said:

A project file? Of a sliced project containing (a) 3d model(s) ?

Are you sure you don't mean one of the Cura profile folders?

From Windows 10 AppData/local, AppData/localLow or AppData/roaming.

Where to send

What files using

What identifier/ticket id?

The cura profile folders also work, but most people feel that a project file is a bit easier. You can send the files to me via PM.

2 minutes ago, MarcusWolschon said:

OK. Will do later this day.

I didn't know that a project file would contain any information about materials not used in the that project or about installed material plugin of the slicer instance that created/edited it.

It won't. But I have an idea as to what the cause is and that should show in the project file.

You don't have any materials because the UM2 does not have any materials (the machine itself has settings for materials). You changed the g-code flavor, so that means it can have some materials, but none of the materials have any settings for the UM2.

Posted (edited) · Print Profiles not supported cura 4.4

The UM2Ex is run via Octoprint, so it has reprap flavor g-code. This should only have an effect on the exported flavor of g-code after slicing.

There is a no UI to assign materials to a printer in the printer settings.

The global list of all materials in FILE->settings->materials (that is independent of the selected printer) is empty despite Cura, Colorfabb and Eastman material plugin being installed.

Edited by MarcusWolschon

My existing printer (imported from previous Cura versions) has no "Machine settings" and no "Connect Octoprint" after the update to Cura 4.5 (and "Select Upgrades" is gone) . It does have these settings in Cura 4.3.

I created 3 new printers.

An "Ultimaker 2 extended with Olsson" with no changes,

an "Ultimaker 2 extended with Olsson" with´ the printer configuration setting "g-code flavor"="reprap" and

a "Prusa i3"

The global, non-printer-dependent Cura configuration in

Preferences->Configure Cura->Materials

is empty, if any of the first 2 printers is selected.

(It is Cura configuration. Not printer configuration and it is on the

same navigation level as the list of all printers. So UX-wise it can not

possibly depend on what printer is selected ouside the configuration

dialog. )

For the default UM2 there is no selection for materials. But also no way to copy the materials onto the SD card during the export of the sliced g-code onto the SD-card (or have the current version of all materials installed from the Marketplace be contained in the special Ultimaker flavored g-code).

For the Prusa the selection is there.

For the reprap UM2 there are no materials and no way to add materials to the printer after changing the g-code flavor to be exported. It does retain the material that was last selected in a different printer in addition to jumping to "generic PLA". You can just no longer change your selection except between these 2 materials without switching printers first.

(Of cause only a UM2ex configured to produce Reprap flavored g-code can be connected to Octoprint.)

I can also create a "Custom FFF printer" and copy all the parameters from the Reprap flavored UM2ex but there is no way to have a selectable nozzle size, all my custom print profiles are missing with this printer and no way to copy&paste an entire printer.

• So I have to manually create a printer with a dozen settings for every...single...nozzle size I have (0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0) .
    • And maintain multiple copies of all my custom print profiles and keep them consistent every time I make a change. Just to switch between using an SD card and using Otcoprint.

UX failures:

• Missing indication in Cura configuration dialog that the list of all materials is somehow printer dependent
    • Missing indication in Cura configuration dialog that the list of print profiles is somehow  dependent on the manufacturer? g-code flavor? mark and model? of the current printer

Plain bugs:

• materials from the Cura Marketplace do not work (or even) in all printers that have a material selection.
    • Missing ability to share materials and print profiles among different printers.
    • choosing a diffent g-code flavor for an Ultimaker printer, breaks Cura despite your own printers understanding these g-code flavors perfectly well.
    Edited by MarcusWolschon

17 hours ago, MarcusWolschon said:
    • Missing indication in Cura configuration dialog that the list of all materials is somehow printer dependent
    • Missing indication in Cura configuration dialog that the list of print profiles is somehow  dependent on the manufacturer? g-code flavor? mark and model? of the current printer

True. It's also a very uncommon situation. As with pretty much all issues, we have to do "triage". So we have to take the frequency and impact of an issue into account when deciding to do something about it.

17 hours ago, MarcusWolschon said:

Plain bugs:

• materials from the Cura Marketplace do not work (or even) in all printers that have a material selection.
    • Missing ability to share materials and print profiles among different printers.
    • choosing a diffent g-code flavor for an Ultimaker printer, breaks Cura despite your own printers understanding these g-code flavors perfectly well.

The first is not quite a bug, but a setting problem. Some extra settings have been introduced for the material station, which haven't been updated for all materials just yet (in that sense, i would argue that it's more of an UX/UI failure that it doesn't make this clear).
    As for the second issue; Materials are shared between printers.
    For the third issue, I'm referring back to my previous point. Triage is a factor here. This is even more so, since you can just use UM2+ profiles.

18 hours ago, MarcusWolschon said:

My existing printer (imported from previous Cura versions) has no "Machine settings" and no "Connect Octoprint" after the update to Cura 4.5 (and "Select Upgrades" is gone) . It does have these settings in Cura 4.3.

The select upgrade being gone is intentional. The "Machine settings" is visible on my machine (also with the project that you provided me). The "Connect Octoprint" being there is dependant on a third party plugin.

21 minutes ago, nallath said:

True. It's also a very uncommon situation. As with pretty much all issues, we have to do "triage". So we have to take the frequency and impact of an issue into account when deciding to do something about it.

The first is not quite a bug, but a setting problem. Some extra settings have been introduced for the material station, which haven't been updated for all materials just yet.

Well, ABS and PLA are missing to.

If not all have been updated, then these would Probably have been the first to be updated. (I guess).

One consequence of a Plugin Marketplace is that Material plugin will either not be updated at all or not in the sync with Cura updates. So old versions of the the schema must be supported for some time.

As for the "Machine Settings", I'll see about providing a screenshot.

The button is actually missing on my machine."Connect to Octoprint" is there for the newly created UM2 but not for the UM2 imported from the previous Cura version.

I can not use the UM2+ profiles because it's not a + and I can't export materials from the Cura Marketplace into a Materials.txt that the printer understands. I can only export materials as an xml file for Cura.

(there is a different thread asking about this from serveral years ago)

You can use the UM2+. That's what I'm trying to say to you. The differences between the UM2 and the UM2+ are so small that it doesn't really matter.

If you use the changed g-code flavor, the actual settings on the machine don't even matter (as they are ignored, because the machine assumes that the slicer puts the temperature commands in the g-code).

Oh, you mean selecting a different printer in Cura and using its g-code on the the UM2Ex. If the UM2+ having stronger fans doesn't matter, I can try that.

The extruder g-code should be in mm/s of actual filament, so not having the geared down extruder shouldn't matter indeed.

Here are the missing button.

1. The imported UM2ex with Olsson Block and Reprap g-code flavor,
    2. the recreated UM2ex with Olsson Block and Reprap g-code flavor,
    3. the recreated UM2ex with Olsson Block and default g-code flavor.

1 and 3 should be identical but they are not.

imported.PNG

recreated.PNG

recreated_default.PNG

Ok, in
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.5\machine_instances
    I opened my custom machine instance definition

"Ultimaker+2+Extended.global.cfg"

and added the line

"has_machine_materials = false"

THEN started Cura 4.5

Now I have materials.

Many materials are missing. (e.g. all the EastMan Kodak).

Here I can select a different printer, make a copy of the material in the Cura UI,

then change to my printer and the ORIGINAL AND COPY of the material will suddenly be visible.

I have yet to find out what the "[containers]" section means and how extruders are linked to machine_instances to tell it about my favorite 1.0mm nozzle. There seems to be no comprehensive documentation the roaming cura settings directory (luckily nothing in "local" or "localLow" in addition to "roaming").
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Definition-Files-Explained
    is the only documentation I could find and it has a very narrow focus.

Edited by MarcusWolschon

1 hour ago, nallath said:

Thanks.

That at least gives a definition of what a variant nozzle / print core is.

Not much for creating one. But that's too far off topic for fixing issues from the profile import of Cura 4.x to 4.5.

What the hell did you do to Cura... I changed from v3 to 4.5 and nothing works any more, profiles are gone, I cannot get any material working, NOT SUPPORTED everywhere. It is a real mess. 

I stick with 3.x, it also messes up my materials and does not save own profiles correctly, but at least it works. 

• Like 1