Basf Ultrafuse 316LX

carminati

Posted · Basf Ultrafuse 316LX

Hi everyone, 

I just bought an Ultrafuse BASF 316 LX filament and i'm going to use it with an Ultimaker S5. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tip and tricks (temperature, shell, infill, quality, velocity, sample part to create) in order to properly create a perfect green part with this new material. 

Thanks in advice. 

On 11/22/2019 at 8:43 AM, carminati said:

Hi everyone, 

I just bought an Ultrafuse BASF 316 LX filament and i'm going to use it with an Ultimaker S5. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tip and tricks (temperature, shell, infill, quality, velocity, sample part to create) in order to properly create a perfect green part with this new material. 

Thanks in advice. 

Have you tried already? Which core are you using and how you plan to do the post processing?

14 hours ago, andrefccastro said:

Have you tried already? Which core are you using and how you plan to do the post processing?

no, the filament is in transit. the core is CC 0.6 and i will send the green parts back to BASF for post processing. Did you try to extrude this material?

Carminati I did not try yet. I have a UM3 only so the CC core is not available.

I was planning to start with this kind of a materials on a prusa that I have with all metal hot end but sending the parts back to BASF is not something that I am looking for.

I am also seeing the filament from The Virtual Foundry and thinking about doing the post processing in-house (on factory).

I have tried it. It is quite the material, but you have to really get used to it. Make sure you check the requirments for debinding and sintering. We printed with dimafix on the build plate. This made sure that the model was really stuck. However this makes it important to be patient enough for it to come of. When you take the material of your print is super brittle so be very careful with it and pack it super tight before sending. I liked the service of BASF, they even debinded and sintered the parts that did not comply with their requirments. 

1 hour ago, andrefccastro said:

Carminati I did not try yet. I have a UM3 only so the CC core is not available.

I was planning to start with this kind of a materials on a prusa that I have with all metal hot end but sending the parts back to BASF is not something that I am looking for.

I am also seeing the filament from The Virtual Foundry and thinking about doing the post processing in-house (on factory).

Be aware that your feeder needs to be wear-resistant too. Not just the print core. 

4 hours ago, Job_van_gennip said:

I have tried it. It is quite the material, but you have to really get used to it. Make sure you check the requirments for debinding and sintering. We printed with dimafix on the build plate. This made sure that the model was really stuck. However this makes it important to be patient enough for it to come of. When you take the material of your print is super brittle so be very careful with it and pack it super tight before sending. I liked the service of BASF, they even debinded and sintered the parts that did not comply with their requirments. 

How much time took for the post processing including transit time? How about the cost? You think it is suitable for batches of 500 pieces? 

My interest in this filament is to use for industrial production but in smaller batches where injection and stamping does not fit in the ROI.

3 hours ago, SandervG said:

Be aware that your feeder needs to be wear-resistant too. Not just the print core. 

My feeder on that prusa is a e3D Titan Extruder Original. Even if the gear wears out it is pretty easy to replace it.

1 hour ago, andrefccastro said:

How much time took for the post processing including transit time? How about the cost? You think it is suitable for batches of 500 pieces? 

My interest in this filament is to use for industrial production but in smaller batches where injection and stamping does not fit in the ROI.

My feeder on that prusa is a e3D Titan Extruder Original. Even if the gear wears out it is pretty easy to replace it.

The cost is about 40/50 euro/chilo. I don't now anything about the transit time. I think BASF hasn't any problem in term of quantity to post-process. 

The time depends a lot on the size of your order. We in total waited 2 weeks including shipping. But i expect the more popular the material gets the shorter this time will become (expect their capacity to increase)

I still think that is not interesting for industrial customers. I would like to have the details on post processing like The Virtual Foundry gives to do it on my own.

How about the dimensional accuracy of the final part?

Hi Andre, I will send you some information personally.

Hi everyone,

I just bought Ultrafuse 316L but I can't load profile from marketplace on my Ultimaker S3. On S5 it works, but on S3 there isn't any option to choose Ultrafuse 316l material (other Basf materials works ok).  

Is this material compatible only for Ultimaker S5 and not for S3?

20 minutes ago, Jaka3d said:

Hi everyone,

I just bought Ultrafuse 316L but I can't load profile from marketplace on my Ultimaker S3. On S5 it works, but on S3 there isn't any option to choose Ultrafuse 316l material (other Basf materials works ok).  

Is this material compatible only for Ultimaker S5 and not for S3?

It's likely that their material definition hasn't added support for the S3. I'll contact them to see if they can update it to include this.

Hi everyone, 

any news or results about your prints with Ultrafuse 316L?

Interesting to read they are sintering in Hydrogen, trying to create a new Hindenburg are they?

Would have expected to read  Nitrogen or Argon

image.thumb.png.ada8753b3cec224eb37604cb3fd24e6e.png

This would certainly be a great option for those who occasionally need to print metal but can't afford $100K to jump in. 

A couple of questions:

1) I see the spool is sold by weight, not volume or length.  I would think 3kg of stainless steel is a lot less filament than 2 kg of PLA.  Is there a measurement in terms of m^3 or length (2.85mm) per spool?

2) Does this material need special storage/drying before use?

3) I am just setting up for the XStrand learning curve, the 316L is more than 4 times the price, so would appreciate knowing how to dial settings in sooner rather than later.

Thanks to the pioneers!

J

Hi @JohnInOttawa, thank you for posting your questions. 

My apologies for my late response. I've been away for 2,5 weeks cause I was moving. I just heard back from my colleague who is most familiar with Ultrafuse.

1) 3kg should be roughly 95 meters

2) nothing special, only thing, since the spool is rather heavy, best to place it somewhere where it can revolve freely/frictionless while printing

3) Cura marketplace profile is good, but keep in mind that printing 316L is a different ball game, it does not respect "traditional" FFF rules, I will upload a document with the main guidelines to keep in mind (it all comes to the fact that the part you print eventually needs debinding and sintering, which in turn changes the whole printing strategy). Only piece of advise from my side (on top of what you will read): print with an Air Manager, always LESS than 250degC, use Magigoo 316L (to remove the part, place the buildplate in a few mm of water for the glue to dissolve and the piece will come out naturally) and keep the shrinkage in mind. 

BASF_Ultrafuse_316L_User_Guidelines.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  Hope the move went well 😉

John

On 11/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, carminati said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks in advice. 

On 6/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, JohnInOttawa said:

Thank you!  Hope the move went well 😉

John

After these lines you can download the printing profile, see the technical data sheet and even learn more about printing instructions.

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/rlsijlbing/BASF_Ultrafuse_316L

• Thanks 1

I have a third party printer using Cura 5.1.0, and we have printed Ultrafuse 316L in the past but with the printers proprietary slicer. We have set up Cura and would like to add the 316L as a material from the marketplace, is it only available for Ultimaker printers or can I also install this profile???? any help would be greatly appreciated.  thomas

Hi @thomas_nomad,

The print profile is only available for Ultimaker S3/S5 printers, see here for 17-4 PH:
    https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/rlsijlbing/Ultrafuse17_4PH

And here for 316L:

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials/rlsijlbing/BASF_Ultrafuse_316L

If you'd like to use it on another printer, typically you can also look at BASF or a 3rd party printer if they have a print profile for the material and printer you're using. Good luck!