Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted · UMO+ Fan Replacement Mod

So I've been thinking of upgrading my UMO+ cooling fan setup. My current machine is unmodified and only blows air from one direction, leaving the other side with something to be desired. I have what I feel to be a solid solution to this problem that doesn't have to do with modelling and printing a complex, melt-prone duct.

I've been browsing Amazon and found these centrifugal PC fans that allow me to mount them in a very convenient way. I'll link them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L2YH79Y/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2QQQKMKGVNA5E&th=1

I plan to use two of them in my theoretical setup:

yVpW-_077DeAEMwdx4UbNxBspaFJ6cXhpjj0FO4ygUpajYGueRb4OVkq6Z2rqfFiY0z0RhHqBX6VDcdzervcScAQT2h-gPUFYclNBN9_2KvUCu0KcYarFfTPtfTuLXbG3ryVtG6uNPtqspO96OGqS4GJFtsnOHMOWZ8HpEWtcDzM1_KgzvsoLjB8-739-d66H2b4K8VaGPquwWX1Ifo4fVQgafEbExFRJr49KXCBwZjWi1sRzu7ejMlMXt7_q3a4hHr5-7CtP9oIflCTJCHRAAIsd1Osman7iMaEP9bfxOtkYUbnKRCFEzatxCX1n136eJbwtShHUIg1b_QZUSBQts7982pOZVHPnGzNU8L34bA7u5px4_PQU8BbGpBMJoBsqAQb13KKtj5TrwzGBILb_IBv0v8n5gqCOW-xA40lFuUYE9unIxDWzPTnP-v94bkYsGqcw033b1mMBl-Fgd2lQ814ou0C7ouPFlb4WQQ8UvHgDAXmddtyKGdPkHLQimAZKtqwEV6WwYwrkpzvepEn2wl9abHlunEzOLnAlLHq3nrCZ31XkWN3AAdsr3WnUg962zDwauylOgq6mRRmPwcNj84XHbRqjoEF1WuTWTwKrkqd-q08QgflQdSnxYkKcfe_HNYADfyNjC89tcOspNzW9WrM7b7HjdmZwUrsEZPiQhn03vZMhLwVsWk=w1250-h938-no

Conveniently, they're available in both 12V and 24V variants. As I'm aware, the UMO+ fan output voltage is 24V. Here's my ultimate question:

Should I wire 2 24V fans in parallel or 2 12V fans in series? Or should I even use these fans at all; What fans would be ideal for this application? I've read it's really easy to fry the board if done incorrectly, so I want to know how to not do that.

Thanks 😃

Posted · UMO+ Fan Replacement Mod

Seem's like your image somehow has a problem...

For wiring the fans I allready tried both solutions on my UMO (non +, so not the same board). And both do work.

But I don't know if one is better than the other. I don't think any of the option could damage your board as a fan use only a very little current intensity.

But it is may be wiser to wait for a second opinion.