Printing large parts diagonally

jakepoz

Posted · Printing large parts diagonally

Hey all, I've got a project to print, and it turns out it's just a few cm too large to print on my Ultimaker 2+. I thought I could split up the design into multiple pieces and fit them together, but perhaps it would work if printed "diagonally"?

I have some threaded holes along the original Z axis I'd like to preserve. 

Is there a way to make the support more "sane" for such a configuration?

image.thumb.png.86301a198d59b46f26372ddd967410cb.png

Posted · Printing large parts diagonally

I guess redesigning it to make it smaller is not an option, as probably some elektronics have to fit in?

I would consider printing it in two parts, flat on the glass. But then it might be a good idea to have some overlapping areas in the side walls, if the design allows for it, so you can glue it better. See the pic below for the concept.

image.png.168b79a7faffe957fecdba2bf0db1977.png

Another option might be to print it diagonally on its side, from front left to back right, instead of slanted vertically? Then you only have to provide supports the top edge that is overhanging, and the bosses. To minimise the amount of support, and the damage it does, you could use free hanging supports like in the pics below. When printing like this on its side, you need good brim and good bonding, and then the whole thing still might get wobbly, depending on dimensions, wall thickness and speed.

image.thumb.png.e1b2a6ab8c763dcdaaf2057466e70fa3.png

overhangtest11c2.thumb.jpg.a46d23123127b77f81082a2efa4daa80.jpg

overhangtest11e.thumb.jpg.1f92bf0e3eb064e1d9edbdf9edd16b3c.jpg

DSCN5727b.jpg.8aeeef6796d24bf7adbbdaa5eb24f52a.jpg