Advice needed about poor quality prints on S5

FablabCardiff

Posted · Advice needed about poor quality prints on S5

Hello,

We are having some issues with the prints coming off our S5 machine. It has been getting progressively worse with each print. We have swapped out the material for brand new PLA from Ultimaker and also tried swapping to a new print head and calibrating it. The issues is the print surface is very rough and appears to have lots of what seems to be vibrations running through it. I have tried slowing the print speed down and adjusting jerk and acceleration but it still happens. We actually have two S5 machines and it seems to be happening on both

Settings used are -

Layer height 0.2

Walls/Top and Bottom 0.8

Infill 15%

Speed 60-65

Jerk 30

Acceleration 4000

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

IMG_20191129_094133.jpg

IMG_20191127_093931.jpg

IMG_20191127_093933.jpg

IMG_20191129_094130.jpg

I guess your problem is because you print too fast. 

Try to equalize all speeds and also jerk speeds and print not faster than 35mm/sec.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I guess your problem is because you print too fast. 

Try to equalize all speeds and also jerk speeds and print not faster than 35mm/sec.

That seems extremely slow, considering the S5 is meant to be an professional 3D printer and presets in Cura is set at no lower than 50mm/s. We also use a Prusa 3D printer which prints very well at 60mm/s. Is that really how slow you need to run an S5? 

Hej FablabCardiff

You can try this profile if you want, its my "default" profile for the s5. it's aimed for medium size prints so you might have to tweek it for bigger prints if you think it takes to long. But it is in general a slow printing profile.

And as Smithy mentioned 60-65 mm/s is way to fast if you want a nice surface finish. I personally never go over 40 mm/s even on "fast" prints.

locking at you pictures I think you also might need to check you axel alignment. 

Accuracy 0.4 Nozzle v2.curaprofile

50 minutes ago, NBull said:

Hej FablabCardiff

You can try this profile if you want, its my "default" profile for the s5. it's aimed for medium size prints so you might have to tweek it for bigger prints if you think it takes to long. But it is in general a slow printing profile.

And as Smithy mentioned 60-65 mm/s is way to fast if you want a nice surface finish. I personally never go over 40 mm/s even on "fast" prints.

locking at you pictures I think you also might need to check you axel alignment. 

Accuracy 0.4 Nozzle v2.curaprofile 1.26 kB · 1 download

Thats great thanks, I must admit I though that the S5 could run quicker than that consider what speed we can run our Prusa at. I will look into the axle alignments as well thank you. 

Prusa and S5 is not comparable, the S5 head is much more heavier than the prusa head, so you have to print slower to avoid ringing and other things. 

On 11/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Smithy said:

Prusa and S5 is not comparable, the S5 head is much more heavier than the prusa head, so you have to print slower to avoid ringing and other things. 

Yes I guess that makes sense. okay good to know I will do some test printing slower. Thanks

Depending on the geometry and size  of the model I usually use 30-40mm/sec and get decent results.

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Depending on the geometry and size  of the model I usually use 30-40mm/sec and get decent results.

Okay thank you I will keep this in mind. Is there anywhere people share Cura profiles that work well with different printers?

In Cura 4.4 you have new profiles included. 

And you can try my profile if you want, nothing special, but I usually print most of my prints with it.

Engineering_S5.curaprofile

On 11/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, Smithy said:

Thats kind of strange, cause the Prusa has a direct drive...

Yes, but in summary, heavy print head, bigger build volume, it is the reason.

• Like 1