S5 Calibration cube with odd corners

jantograaf

Posted · S5 Calibration cube with odd corners

So, I've tried a 20x20x20 calibration cube to test the dimensional accuracy of my ASA prints. Seems that the X, Y and Z distance are all quite in tolerance ( respectively 20.08mm/20.13mm/19.92mm) as long as you measure them in the center of the object. If I take the corners into account, everything is off, because it looks like it is overextruding at the corners...

IMG_20191205_104633.thumb.jpg.f1e480e9de959ddb54af5b92ee054588.jpg

Any way to fix this easily in Cura? Print speed, jerk, acceleration, I'm thinking along the lines of that...

I only am experienced with UMO, UM2 and UM3 and thoose machines don't benefit from the latest improvement from Cura 4.4:

Intent profiles. You should have premade profiles for your S5 printer and if you choose the engeeniring one it should reduce the over extrusion at corners.

Some people didn't wait Cura 4.4 to make their own profile, as I have read on some threads that for the UM S5, you should equalize all your speeds around 30 - 40 mm/s (exept maybee first layer wich can be slower). You should also put all jerks setting to the same value wich if I remember well is around 25 mm/s.

• Like 1

Thats correct, print slower and adjust the jerk settings to the same speed.

These bulged corners are a result when the print head extrudes the filament on a straight wall for example. Then just before a corner, the print head slows down (jerk speed) to go slower through the corner (to avoid ringing on the other side) But the pressure in the nozzle is still there, so the print head moves slower through the corner but with too much pressure in the nozzle and the result is over extrusion in the corner.

• Like 1

Linear Advance is not supported on UM printers. If it helps for other brands, I don't know, but the solution is easy with printing slower and adjusting the jerk speeds.