Material file needed to import

FrederikP

Posted · Material file needed to import

Hello, I installed new version of CURA today, removed old version and... deleted my materials database...

Anyone can help me out? PLA, ABS... that's all I need 🙂

Don't know the parameters for sure...

Thx!

Thx for your response!

Problem is that I have no materials in my CURA 4.4 material settings. Only 1 material called "unknown" that I cannot edit.

Tried to import several files from the material folder (for example: "generic_pla.xml.fdm_material"), program says Import done, but no results.

Can someone export his material settings and give me that file to try? 

This problem also makes that I cannot select material when I want to create a print file... 

Thanks in advance!

It seems you have somehow messed up your Cura installation. I would try to remove the user configuration folder of Cura and do a complete reinstallation.

Don't forget the user configuration folder, I guess this it the problematic place.

• Thanks 1

Tried to remove everything, all folders and made new installation (version 4.4).

Same problem... have no materials, cannot add any materials, cannot import materials.

Reinstalled version 4.2.1: everything looks fine! So I'll stay with that version for a while.

Thanks anyway.. strange problem...

That's really strange and I don't have any more ideas either.

Use geek uninstaller

When you delete a couple of files by accident, and you discover it *immediately* afterwards, you can usually get them back with undelete-software. If you manually deleted the files, maybe they are still in the garbage bin, and you can recover them from there. But if you uninstalled or updated things with the official (un)installer, the files usually aren't in the bin. So you need that undelete-software to find them and restore them. This is not convenient to recover hundreds of files or complete installations, but it works reasonbly well for a couple of individual files. However, if the files have been deleted some time ago, and you did other work on that computer such as editing designs, or you installed new programs, then the old files may have been overwritten and be unrecoverable.

If the files would sit on a server instead of your home-computer, maybe that server has shadow-copy software running in the background, with which you can recover deleted files up to several months ago. But that is not likely on a home computer. You might need to contact the administrator of the servers for the procedure to find the files.

Better is of course to make a regular backup of your files, including programs and settings. Then you can get the missing or damaged files from there.