daknife

Direction of Travel

Posted · Direction of Travel

I'm using Cura 4.2.1 with a Creality 3d printer. I'm somewhat new to 3d printing so I hope someone can help me, I've run across an issue where my gcode is having the the printhead move in a diagonal direction on a large flat area. This diagonal movement is leaving striations along the surface. Is there some way to restrict the printhead to horizontal and verticle movement? Or maybe a way to smooth these areas. I've tried ironing but that doesnt help.

Have you tried setting combing to "no skin" ? That should help keep travels away from flat areas.

Please save the project (File -> Save) and then attach the .3mf file to this thread. Perhaps if we can see the model and settings then we can suggest further remedies.

Thanks for the file. When I slice this, I don't see a large diagonal travel move over the skin. Could you please also attach the gcode that has the problem. Thanks.

When I slice the file the base is printed in 2 layers. The lower layer is printed vertically and comes out very smooth. The second layer though is printed diagonally and is very rough. If I make the base thinner it prints the first layer diagonally.  Also, If I increase the thickness of the base so that it prints 3 layers, the lower layer is printed vertically and the 2nd and 3rd layers are both printed diagonally.