burtoogle

New infill patterns in experimental Cura builds

Posted · New infill patterns in experimental Cura builds

I was asked to implement the Schwarz P and Schwarz D TPMS infill patterns by a user who wishes to compare their properties with the already implemented Gyroid pattern. This I have just done and so I'm just letting people know in case anyone wants to give them a go.

This is Schwarz P ("Primitive") and I don't think it is so good for general infill as it requires a lot of travels because each layer consists of a bunch of closed loops.

Screenshot_2019-12-07_17-11-00.thumb.png.559ea1a0001560e15f2e1f80cb2a62b0.png

This is Schwarz D ("Diamond") and, like Gyroid, each layer consists of wavy lines so it requires fewer travels.

Screenshot_2019-12-09_09-26-47.thumb.png.52a8077c2c3757106d1121e51fdd10d6.png

Both of these patterns have shallow slopes and so to get the best visual quality they should be printed using thin layers and fat lines (i.e. 0.1mm and 200% infill flow).

A known issue is that the Connect Infill Lines setting doesn't work very consistently with these patterns. More work required, there.

As ever, my Cura builds can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0 Please read the README.md file there.

For more info on TPMSs, a good page is http://facstaff.susqu.edu/brakke/evolver/examples/periodic/periodic.html

All feedback is welcome!

• Like 8

As always, faster than the police allow, thank you Mark!

Posted (edited) · New infill patterns in experimental Cura builds

Thanks a lot for your work @burtoogle

I  like your new Schwarz D  pattern.   The Gyroïde pattern is already nice but the Schwarz D pattern are faster and it generate less wobbling movements.  On the other hand I am not convinced by the Schwarz P(rimimitif) pattern.

Modèle.jpg20200115_214558.thumb.jpg.47bab85ed004809e0603f9df88e7f8ca.jpg

Edited by Cuq

Hi @Cuq. Yes, the Schwarz P isn't really much good as a general infill but apparently it has potential applications in medicine and other niche areas. Personally, I will keep using gyroid as my day-to-day infill.

Hello,

I'm testing your last Cura master with Schwarz D infill and it's the best I've got tryied. Gyroid was good but this one is better for mechanical and really faster. And your others options are very great and convenient. I hope Ultimaker uses your work.

Thanks a lot !

• Like 1

Hi @Noisettetbou, thanks for the feedback. What kind of objects are you printing using the Schwarz D infill?

Hi,

I print mechanicals objects and I'm working on a project of blocks of construction for houses who needs this kind of infill. Anyway even if I print a character or a little piece, I would prefer use this kind of infill for his speed ans his strong.