Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Slic3r infill oddity

Posted · Slic3r infill oddity

I haven't used Slic3r very much, but it's the standard tool of choice for QU-BD's Revolution line of printers, so I've been using it more while putting my RXL through its paces, and trying to debug some of the teething issues.

And I found an odd behavior in Slic3r: if you don't dig into the Advanced settings, and manually choose the extrusion bead widths to use for perimeter, infill, etc., then Slic3r makes some odd choices.

With a 0.4mm nozzle, it will pick 0.68mm for the perimeter bead width, and a massive 1.28mm for the infill beads. If you've set your print speeds, based on an expectation that you're printing with a nozzle-width bead of plastic, the extruder could have a really hard time when it suddenly has to squeeze out more than 3 times as much plastic per second as you were expecting.

I wrote a http://www.extrudable.me/2013/11/03/slic3r-strange-defaults-causing-qu-bd-woes/, with some examples.

Just something to be aware of if you're using Slic3r, and haven't hard coded the widths...

Posted · Slic3r infill oddity

Did you really then set all the line widths to 0.4mm? I tried that some time ago and got very bad results for the infills (single lines with gaps). I then reset these to 0 and got results quite similar to those with Cura.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Talking additive | The 3D printing podcast
        Why should we be the only ones asking questions? Join us and ask Jabil all your questions on September 22nd 5pm CET
        • 3 replies
      • Ultimaker masterclass: Optimizing your Ultimaker Cura workflow
        Save your seat for either broadcast on September 23.
        What will you learn?
        · Best practices for iterative print preparation and every lesson you should learn from each print
        · The right way to use per-object settings and when they are most useful
        · Easy-to-use resources for anyone who wants to develop their own printer definitions, plugins, or print profiles
        · How to optimize print profile settings and whether to “keep” or “discard” changes
        · When is the right time to export your drawing from CAD? (Based on Ultimaker Cura’s surprising power as 3D control software)
        · And a whole lot more tips and tricks!

How can I join?
        This free masterclass will take place twice:
        1. 11am CEST (5pm SGT, 5am EDT)
        2. 5pm CEST (11am EDT, 8am PDT, 11pm SGT)
        • 0 replies
      • Do you use 3D printing at work? Let us know
        It doesn't matter if you are using 1 Ultimaker or 10, there is inspiration in everything. We're looking for ...
        • 1 reply