Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
illuminarti

Slic3r infill oddity

I haven't used Slic3r very much, but it's the standard tool of choice for QU-BD's Revolution line of printers, so I've been using it more while putting my RXL through its paces, and trying to debug some of the teething issues.

And I found an odd behavior in Slic3r: if you don't dig into the Advanced settings, and manually choose the extrusion bead widths to use for perimeter, infill, etc., then Slic3r makes some odd choices.

With a 0.4mm nozzle, it will pick 0.68mm for the perimeter bead width, and a massive 1.28mm for the infill beads. If you've set your print speeds, based on an expectation that you're printing with a nozzle-width bead of plastic, the extruder could have a really hard time when it suddenly has to squeeze out more than 3 times as much plastic per second as you were expecting.

I wrote a http://www.extrudable.me/2013/11/03/slic3r-strange-defaults-causing-qu-bd-woes/, with some examples.

Just something to be aware of if you're using Slic3r, and haven't hard coded the widths...

Did you really then set all the line widths to 0.4mm? I tried that some time ago and got very bad results for the infills (single lines with gaps). I then reset these to 0 and got results quite similar to those with Cura.