ColorFabbs new WOODFILL PLA ... hehehe :-)

ian

Posted · ColorFabbs new WOODFILL PLA ... hehehe :-)

Thanks Sigi I appreciate the detail you put into your post, it looks like it has some really good tips :-P! You probably have helped many people save time and frustration trying to use this material on the UM2. I wasn't considering trying this stuff out myself, but now I'm definitely going to get some for my UM2 when it arrives.

Thank you for your efforts :-P.

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sigi, those are great tips! Thanks for helping spread settings for printing with this material.

Aaron and others in the US, we'll have some 3mm in stock next week (unless customs decides they want to hold on to it for a little while) in both full spools and in the sample pack (40g each of woodfill, XT, and PLA/PHA).

Sigi, thank you! Yesterday evening I've printed for the first time with woodfill (same helicopter) and I've used your adviced settings. It worked flawless! Pictures to follow of course, but my wife kidnapped me to bed since it was too late (again). ;-)

Immediately after the woodfill I've printed a PLA cube to remove all remaining filament. Worked fine for me.

I'm using the WoodFill 'FINE' with the standard 0,4 mm nozzle without problems until now. Others (see previous posts) are using it with a 0,8 mm nozzle.

As promised Sigi, my WoodFill helicopter :smile: :

sml_gallery_24609_590_17033.jpg

Also printed with the standard 0.4mm nozzle.

My first Woodfill Print. A Altoids tin holder finished with a little Danish Oil. I printed this on my Ultimaker Original with a .8 nozzle and chunky .5mm layers @ 50mm/s

IMG_20140304_164946.jpg

Thanks for the tips, Sigi.

I picked up my spools this morning and am printing as I type, with your settings on my UM1.

So far it looks good (just the 20mm testcube, scaled 2X.

Regards, Kees

Thank you for all the good hints on using the woodfill material. I am kind of lurking in the background on this because, as a puppeteer I would like to print some marionette related stuff with this material. But I hate complications and am just happy my printers work the way they are. Perhaps I might try to convert one of my 2 printers to woodfill "setup" with a larger nozzle.

How does this stuff post-process? sand, paint? do wood varnishes or stains work on it? Is it any different from normal pla or just has a different "decorative" value?

How does this stuff post-process? sand, paint? do wood varnishes or stains work on it? Is it any different from normal pla or just has a different "decorative" value?

Hi Albert, I could send you a couple of 3d printed pieces so you can try sanding, painting and wood varnishes and maybe report you findings on the forum? If you're interested PM me your adres and will set this up somewhere next week.

Gijs

Here is a little pushing the boundaries : )

3D Hubs Marvin in Woodfill Fine. Ultimaker original with a 0.8mm nozzle and 100um layer height. Ducted cooling on full blast and 30mm/s speed.

2014-03-16_12.53.04_display_large.jpg

Two days ago I now also received a spool of colorFabb WoodFill 'FINE' (the one that is working with a 0,4 mm nozzle).

The very first impression after a first print: This material is wonderful!

Hi Sigi,

Which diameter is the filament for the 0,4 mm nozzle ? 3 or 1,75 mm ?

Thanks.

I believe that colorFabb has decided to only sell the fine variety not the coarse. I will be taking my spool of coarse and locking it in a vault only to be removed for special occasions. :(

So, the 1.75 and 2.85 available now are the same.

I've already posted in the show your last print thread but for the record here are my test prints with colorfabb woodfill fine.

I tried WoodFill Fine, was a little stressed because of the things i read concerning woodfill (nozzle cloggs etc) but gave it a go. Used to profile from colorfabb's website.

0.27mm layers speed 50mm/s and temperature was 220°c i didn't experiment with the filament temp. Buildplate at 60°c (not needed but didn't want to play with glue).

First print:

Cute octopus says hi with 0 infill:

20140518 172831

20140518 172856

20140518 172908

20140518 172914

A little timelapse with my raspicam:

A nice owl with 0 infill

20140518 204335

20140518 204347

20140518 204356

20140518 204406

20140518 204419

20140518 204428

Timelapse:

No problems at all with these to prints. The owl took around 4 hours to finish and ended up really well. Surprised by the nice surface. The big layers (0.27mm) don't show on big surfaces. Had a little ugly finish on some overhangs but was probably due to to high speed. Overall very happy with the product. And it feels good when you touch it. Definitely not my last woodfill print.

Just to let you guys know i had a second clog with woodfill fine.

First one was minor because i was there to stop the print immediately, and it was cleared easily.

Second clog was a bit more severe. It happened i guess a couple of minutes after i checked. So the print continued around 15 minutes.

I managed to clear it but it was hard.

Today i did the same print that caused the clog but i disabled retraction. I really think it comes from that. My first minor clog had retractions also.

the filament makers should give more advises...