3D model is not completing and is not giving any errors to why (Ultimaker 3.3.1 and Monoprice MP10)

sgillespie

Posted · 3D model is not completing and is not giving any errors to why (Ultimaker 3.3.1 and Monoprice MP10)

I am brand new to 3D printing (actually helping my 12 year old son). We have a Monoprice MP10 Mini (just bought for Christmas) and downloaded Cura 3.3.1. I tried getting a newer version of Cura but could not find the Monoprice MP10 Mini on any other Cura version other than 3.3.1. I am also using a PC but have a Mac to use as well if needed but could not find any Cura with Mac for Monoprice MP10 mini. 

In any case, the 3D models that we are trying to print out are not completing and I can't find any error message as to why.

We are using Tinkercad to build the model and have tried saving as .STL and .OBJ.

The sample cat file completed its print so I know that the printer can complete a model. I also tried printing the Thingverse sample Bunchy and that printed to 75% completion. Simple models like a cube and heart have completed.

We are currently trying to print out a Star Wars X Wing and it got to 60% complete and then the printer just stopped with no error.

Based on this, I have several questions:

1. Is there anywhere on Cura 3.3.1 that I can see the error messages to try and troubleshoot

2. Is there a way that I can upgrade to a more recent Cura version for the Monoprice MP10 Mini, assuming that will help with my prints. If it does not matter, I have no problem staying on version 3.3.1.

3. Any insight as to why my 3D model is not printing? Can I tell if there is something wrong with the model that we built in Tinkercad. All the pieces look put together and they are all "grouped" so it should come out fine.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to  total NEWBIE in 3D printing trying to help her son with building 3D models.

See attachments if that is helpful.

3D print not complete on printer.jpg

Print does not complete - no error message.jpg

X wing practice test.stl

Posted · 3D model is not completing and is not giving any errors to why (Ultimaker 3.3.1 and Monoprice MP10)

I don't think upgrading cura is going to help.  Let's put that aside.

I see two possibilities:

1) The slicer isn't slicing your whole model.  You can verify this by looking at your model in "preview" mode.  At the top of the display.  Then scroll through every layer and make sure it is printing where you think it should.  If not then DON'T print it - it has to look correct (prints all layers) in preview mode or there is no point in actually printing.

2) Something might be wrong with your printer.  I don't know the monoprice printers well but I would concentrate on the power module that converts house power into printer power (I assume 12V to 24V - something around that).  Some of these power supplies will overload and shutdown but only for 1/4 second or so and then your printer reboots and when you come back it's happy and ready to print and doesn't realize it lost power part way through the print.

One test for this is what does the display show when it stops.  Does it say something like "print complete" or is it at the start screen when you first power up?  Does it keep the bed hot (indicating the printer is in a crashed state of some sort)?  Or did it act like the print actually finished properly?

In your first photo - is that how you found the printer?  Bed still at 220 but not printing?  If so I'm thinking option 2 above - for some reason it crashed.  If it didn't crash it should have turned off heat.

Also is it possible that you pulled the SD card out of your computer before it finished copying the file?  When you slice, save to hard drive and *then* copy to SD card.  Then take the card out, put it back into the PC and check that the files are still identical (for example with winmerge - a great free utility).

For option 1: How  do I verify the slicing layer by layer as you suggested in "preview" mode. See screenshot of what I see. I don't know how I go layer through layer to see it. 

For option 2:  Yes, the 1st photo is how I found the printer. The printer was still on and heated (220 and 60) , the extruder just stopped moving prior to completing the print.  There was no notice that the model completed, no notice at all.  I printed through the USB and not SD Card. I will try saving to the SD card next. When I printed through the USB, the laptop stays on so that should not have shut down the printer, but will try with SD card.

Are there some good "getting started with your first couple of 3D prints" guidelines/instructions that I can read/see. I really have not found really any good "getting started" guides so maybe I am missing something. In particular to ensuring I am using the right settings as I tried printing an X Wing sample from Thingverse and it just kind of "melted" away leaving me to assume that I need to improve the settings.

Thank you so much!

Preview layer view.jpg

Also, is there any way to check the .STL file to ensure that it has been completed in a way to ensure proper 3D printing will happen OR is that done in the "preview" suggestion you had above. If so, I would need to better understand how to "preview" the layers. See .STL file.

X wing practice test.stl

Well one option is to view the gcode in another viewer other than Cura - such as gcode.ws.  Just drag and drop the gcode onto that website.

But better would be to find "preview" mode.  In your screen shot I see "prepare" and "monitor" but there should also be a "preview" somewhere.  I'm still on Cura 4.0 - I'm not sure where that is on your version.

Okay maybe you just need to change "color scheme" on the ride side of your screen.

- George

Screenshot from 2020-01-05 16-32-36.png

@sgillespie - I notice now that the only reason you didn't see the layers in your image above is because you didn't hit the "slice" button.

Yes, I finally noticed that myself. I got everything to work. The printer was stopping because the laptop fell asleep. Now I just use the SD Card and everything is fine. We have been printing a lot  and having fun. Thank you for the support 

• Like 1