Cura 13.10 Bridge settings??

zernyu-chou

Posted · Cura 13.10 Bridge settings??

Hello printers!

I've looked everywhere and it seems Cura's bridge settings are hidden away and you can't change them? Is there something I am missing?

I can't get bridges to look any better than intestines using the latest version of Cura:

CAjOvlp.jpg

Okay. You got me interested in this. I want to print that bridge thing (lower picture). Can you supply a link? Is it on youmagine or thingiverse?

I love experiments.

I didn't spot that one either. must admit, im very impressed with how much the UM2 can span. I forgot to add supports to something I was doing last night, it suddenly struck me when it was approx 2 hours into the build, fortunately it handled it no problem. It was only 40mm but my heart kind of missed a beat when it started on the area. Well impressed with the way it coped.

I just tried thing 12925 with Cura 31.11. While the fan is set to 100% while printing the struts, Cura sets it to minimum when starting the bridging (based on longer path and calculated layer time I suppose). So at least, having min and max fan set to 100% is a must.

Besides this it works well (on UM1 with enhanced cooling) . First bridge layer perimeter lines are perfect, infill not (printed too fast). Simple question:

If Cura knows that there is only thin air beneath a certain path, why not always print this path with perimeter speed only?

Picture please foehnsturm.

Here you go.

Perimeter 50 mm/s, infill 100 mm/s

bridge-50mm.jpg

The long infill lines of the fist bridge layer are mostly lost, revealing the diagonal pattern of the second layer. The reason might be a combination of (excess) infill speed and unsteady extrusion. The perimeter lines start with a 90° turn and may establish steady extrusion while passing the 5 mm wide strut. In contrast, the infill starts with a 180° turn and there is just 0.8 mm (wall thickness) to settle for constant conditions.

Zernu??? Where did you go?

I did some bridging tests and posted photos and settings:

Post # 17 (for now - unless/until someone(me?) deletes a post above it):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1872-some-calibration-photographs/?p=25304

Temperature was by far the most important factor. I thought .1mm layers would be much worse than .2mm but it was fine! Just as good! This bridging could be better probably if Cura was more careful about not touching the previous bridge lines before they cool.

Try Cura 13.04! There you can set the % of the bridge speed. To print a bridge slow works for me the best.

Im waiting for this feature for a comeback in every new Cura version...

How slow? I found no difference between 50mm/sec and 100mm/sec. Did you look at my photo in my post above?

Seems to depend on machine and / or material. With 100 mm/s and UM silver PLA (195°) I'm loosing strings right when laying them down, at 50 mm/s everything is perfect. However I don't loose any strings thereafter when passing nearby, which should be related to the heavy cooling.

Yellow colorFab PLA/PHA is a mess so far quite similar to Zernyu Chou's picture. Even at 20° below recommended printing temp.