palaeo3d

CURA "slicing" but doing nothing w BIG models only

Posted · CURA "slicing" but doing nothing w BIG models only

Hi,

Cura (4.4 on one PC, 4.3 on another) doesn´'t slice (CPU&GPU 0%); there is no blue progress shown. Models upwards of 500 MB (binary STL) are affected. Sometimes, a reboot helps, but for some models I am stuck.

I have sliced larger models on these PCs before without issue, thus pure size doesn't seem to be the issue.

Adding a small cube that touches the build plate did NOT solve the problem.

The firewall is NOT an issue, as I can slice other models easily.

I tried exporting from a different program (Rhino 5.0 instead of GOMinspect) - no help.

Ideas?

So I downsized the files to less than 60 million points (120 million polygons) and now it works.

So, why am I sometimes able to slice files that are way over 1 GB as binary STLs, and now these will only work when ca. 540 MB?

6 hours ago, gr5 said:

Over a million polygons is, well, a lot.  For the model in this article you can see that even for a detailed car... well check it out:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab

Actually, whether it is a lot or not depends on two things: printer resolution and print size. And I can tell you that in this case, the required reduction is visible in the printed part. Print space is 1 cubic meter.....

OK; I can manually select areas for local reduction where the detail isn't that important, but that's going to be a full day of work.

And Meshlab can't even handle meshes of that size properly. Only GOMinspect is comfy with them.

• Like 1