used Ultimaker 2+ as my first printer - good or outdated in 2020?

davemackron

Posted · used Ultimaker 2+ as my first printer - good or outdated in 2020?

Hey there! I‘m thinking about starting with 3d printing. Since i’m totally new and a noob my question is if a Ultimaker 2+ is still considered a good beginners printer for 2020? The question mainly arises because it‘s a pretty old printer and this industry seems to change fast. Reason for buying an older model is because i‘m looking for used 3d printers and i got the opportunity to buy the Ultimaker 2+ for around 600$-700$. Are the newer Models significantly better or am i well off with a used Ultimaker 2+?

Hi

Your are right, that the UM2+ is quite old and maybe outdated, but it is still a very very good printer and it beats often newer models in some disciplines. So a UM2+ for $700 is a good deal and I would definitely buy it.

The main difference between the UM2+ and newer models are, that they have dual print cores, so you can print in two colors or with a dedicated support material, are network enabled to print via network, active bed leveling and some other features.

I don't know if it helps you for your decision, but my first printer was an UM3, then S5 and I recently bought a used UM2+ Extended because it is a great printer.

Hope it helps a little bit.

• Like 1

I have two UM2 (non-plus, thus the version before the UM2+) printers and they are still fine for what I need them for, mostly long flat models that need no support.

So if you only need one color and no dissolvable support, it should be okay.

But I would suggest that you make a testprint first, to see if everything still works fine, and the printer isn't abused or damaged (e.g. by dropping, printing abrasive materials, things burned out, damaging mods,...). This is usually repairable, but then the costs might no longer make it the best choice.

Posted (edited) · used Ultimaker 2+ as my first printer - good or outdated in 2020?

IMHO UM2+ is outdatted and you will probably need to buy expensive spare parts to keep it working in a short amound of time.

I just purchased an Artillery Sidewinder X1 (v4) for 359 dolars (promo price in black friday) and it cames with TMC silent stepper drives, direct drive with pancake extruder, capacitive end stops, volcano nozzle, colour/touch LCD, build volume of 30x30x40cm, flat cables all around and some other specs that make it a much better machine than my old but good UM2(+).

By the way the Artillery Sidewinder X1 cames as a pre-assembled printer, you just need to screw 4 bolts and conect the flat cables to make it work (10 mins assembly)... I’m very impressed with this new printer and the value for money of it.

Cheers, Fernando Gazzola / 3dSolid

Edited by fergazz

i went from a Makrboot Play to Ultimater 2+ simply because of a reliability perspective.

i know it does not have dual extruders or network connectivity (eg using a SD card seems so wrong in this day age).

Have to admit i had immense frustration originally with printing on glass and adhesion but now i am convert to the salt method 

i love the machine. the constancy is great and it works ever time and the print quality is good.

It's a machine so i expect thing to break eventually but the parts look readily available.

I brought mine new and have no issues paying the money. but it meet my needs and price point at the time. whether  its ticks the boxes or everyone else i would not say. it just my opinion