Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4

on my github, i've updated

Configuration.h

Configuration_adv.h

pins_BTT_SKR_common.h

for the latest changes. this is the configuration that my franken-UM2+ is now running on. i'm still sporadically getting a hard reset during print. not sure about the root cause of the issue, though. will exclude temperatures for now, as these are pretty constant at 60°C on the drivers and some 45°C on the processor.  everything else, including the heatbed- and hotend-MOSFETs is running cooler than that ( measured 1 hour into a print).

seems that the issue is gone when i do a hard reset right before a print, and is more likely to show up after a filament change and consecutive print w/o hard reset in between. idk.

anyway, max speeds on x,y axes have to be diligently fine-tuned to avoid case resonances (and head resonances, especially the fan duct interacting with the hotend body, go figure!) to really enjoy the smoothness of the stepper motors on the TMC drivers. rule of thumb: to avoid resonances and at the same time maintain print quality, _increasing_ speeds may be way to go, rather than lowering them. otherwise, speed ripple of the stepper motors will bite you. for the z-axis, i can't go any higher than approx. 20 mm/s, or serious "screaming" will kick in, albeit not as nerve-wrecking as the original sound. on the other hand, the feeder is absolutely dead silent now, apart from the sporadic "cracking" on retract, that seems to be typical of the bondtech DDG that i am using.

Edited by Porkpie
    Posted · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4
    On 4/30/2020 at 1:43 AM, Anthrix said:

Couple photos for now.

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3658 2.jpg

@Anthrix Wow, this is great! I've got a spare MK52 laying around, have exactly this idea with it. It looks like you've simply drilled additional holes in the original base plate? Could you share the locations of the holes you drilled?

PS: why aren't the cables running through the original location?

• Like 1
    • 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry for late replay 🙂 @suspiciouspingpong So for the holes location you'll need to put screw in the end middle hole (that is original hole) and then mark-it rest of the holes.

Front holes are very close to the edge so need to be careful with size of the drill.

Cables are rooted this way to reduce stress on the cable bends. Bigger bend radius less stress on the cable.

IMG_4113.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Anthirx,

thanks for the hints using the original Ultimaker Controller with SKR 1.4. It was very usefull. Currently I build also a SKR 1.4 Turbo into my Ultimaker 2+ and it is working fine.

In the next step I tried to add a BLTouch for AUTO_LEVELING and here I'm having an issue. When trying to do the AUTO_LEVELING it homes the build plate (which is at Z_MAX) at the bottom of the printer. The BED_LEVELING is starting with a HOME and the it starts the BLTouch probe to come out. And here is the problem, the build plate have to be raised to 0mm before starting the probing. ANy hint to get it wokring?

I saw from your images that you also use a probe (even it is a inductive or capacitive probe).

#Kind regards

Michael

On 8/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, michil said:

Hello Anthirx,

thanks for the hints using the original Ultimaker Controller with SKR 1.4. It was very usefull. Currently I build also a SKR 1.4 Turbo into my Ultimaker 2+ and it is working fine.

In the next step I tried to add a BLTouch for AUTO_LEVELING and here I'm having an issue. When trying to do the AUTO_LEVELING it homes the build plate (which is at Z_MAX) at the bottom of the printer. The BED_LEVELING is starting with a HOME and the it starts the BLTouch probe to come out. And here is the problem, the build plate have to be raised to 0mm before starting the probing. ANy hint to get it wokring?

I saw from your images that you also use a probe (even it is a inductive or capacitive probe).

#Kind regards

Michael

Meanwhile I got the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR working but I do not get it working with correct values. I do everything what I found to evaluate the Z Offset for the BLTouch (it's a clone not the original). When I check the Z 0 I still have about 1 to 1.5mm between nozzle and print bed. When I try to print something, The nozzle is directly on the Glass of the printbed, so that no filament could come out. Very strange. Something I have to take care about in Cura?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
    On 8/1/2020 at 10:47 AM, michil said:

Hello Anthirx,

#Kind regards

Michael

Hey, sorry for so late replay. I do use inductive sensor same as on Prusa mk3 4s wires. Works really well. 

I do use  AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR this is link to my config files so you can check them out. Config files.

I've mounted the bed using three original screws, but I'm experiencing slight flexing.

How many screws have you used to mount bed? In the picture above i see that there are at least one extra on middle front.

have you tried to mount it as it is in prusa, using  all eight mount points and distance tubes?

On 9/25/2020 at 5:52 PM, empeka said:

I've mounted the bed using three original screws, but I'm experiencing slight flexing.

How many screws have you used to mount bed? In the picture above i see that there are at least one extra on middle front.

have you tried to mount it as it is in prusa, using  all eight mount points and distance tubes?

On my set up i used 8 off them. Results bed is rock solid :)

Hi, 

Was curious, what power supply did you use? As I am going to attempt to overhaul my Ultimaker 2. Thank you, 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:43 AM, Dilphat said:

Hi, 

Was curious, what power supply did you use? As I am going to attempt to overhaul my Ultimaker 2. Thank you, 

I used MEAN WELL LRS-350-24 24V 14.6A